Advice about system. Overkill or good deal? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently got accepted to the WHS beta program and have been debating building or buying a machine.  My main concern is future upgradeability.  Local builders or building myself (Newegg, microcenter, etc) seems like I can get a 2 x 160GB, 1gb ram, DVD burner, Celeron processor, 1 yr warranty, etc for around $400ish.  Dell is currently offering the PowerEdge 840 with Celeron 336, 2x 160GB (with 2 additional open 3.5" bays), 2GB ram, DVD drive, and 3 year warranty for about $700.  I am a student and price sensitive, but would be willing to go for the Dell for warranty piece of mind and future expansion.  Any insight?

Monday, March 12, 2007 6:07 PM

All replies

• I’m in a similar position in terms of selecting hardware.  I have WHS currently installed on an old Dell xps system and am looking for a more appropriate server platform with some longevity.  I’ve also been looking at a new sc440 or 700.  One other thing I’m considering is going with a lease-return (available online, ebay, etc) for around 200.00 and throwing in my hard drives.  I’ve found numerous sc600 series servers on offer from vendors which would easily suit the WHS beta (2+ghz p4’s, 1gb ram, etc).  I’d like to be future-proof, but I’m also concerned that when WHS hits the streets there might be some very appealing new hardware available, making me regret my 700.00 investment… True, it’s a bit of a gamble, but the larger ops usually have no-doa protection.

Just my two cents. 

Monday, March 12, 2007 6:40 PM
  • I would like to sound in on this;

When we joined the beta, one of the questions was 'do you have hardware' to use on this project.

Here's why; the WHS is going to be an OEM box/software package to the end-user.

I don't beleive that any software will be available for retail purchase, that being said, keep your investment

within the 'I can use this for something else' range. I don't think your going to be keeping around

after the testing period.

been here; done this

Monday, March 12, 2007 8:18 PM
  • To follow up, certain posts have indicated a path for upgrading pre-release versions to RTM with data preservation.  I agree with the “other use” aspect of any hardware used for WHS, but personally I’m willing to spend a few on an interim box more suited to the OS (& that will be useful in another capacity if necessary) than my current bare minimums installation. 

That said, hopefully the below will remain true, though standard beta practices dictate that we shouldn’t make any plans based on our WHS data or installations:

“Regarding enabling moving your data to newer builds (RTM or otherwise):  We have a way of enabling the OS to be clean installed while preserving the data stored in shared folders. It is our intent to support this "OS Install upgrade" scenario in future pre-release versions and for RTM.”

See posts from cek:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1307729&SiteID=50

Monday, March 12, 2007 9:24 PM