schedule task to wake up WHS from sleep state? RRS feed

• Question

• I have read other threads that talk about the philosophical aspects of why put a server to sleep....but want to ask this (again) anyway. 

I built my WHS up from left over parts from my kid's PCs.  Have a P4 system, full ATX, with multiple HDDs.  it is consuming (according to a plug in watt meter) about 100 watts.  I only use if for backups (not shared files or remote access). 

I love the feature that my client PCs can wake up from Sleep mode and then be put back to sleep. rather than run the WHS box 24x7; I was wondering if you can schedule a task to wake up the WHS from sleep at an appointed time...do all the client backups, and then put itself back to sleep.  didn't know if WHS (server 2003) had this capability or if it worked reliably.  at 100 watts the box is only costing me about $100 a year to run but I would like to reduce that further if I can w/out sacrificing back up capability

thanks in advance for any advice or experience that others have here!

Monday, January 26, 2009 7:26 PM

Answers

• You can schedule a task to wake your server or put it into a reduced power state, assuming your hardware properly supports this. What you can't do is control exactly when a client backup will occur. Client backups aren't scheduled on the server; all you do there is specify the window within which a backup can happen. The clients choose a time within that window (within the first half, I believe). So your server would need to wake at the beginning of the window, and not go back to sleep until after the last backup finished (which could potentially be past the end of the window, if a client happens to take a long time to back up and starts relatively late).

None of this is "supported" because Microsoft's vision for the product is that it be simple to use, i.e. pretty much plug it in and it works. Getting power saving working can be daunting for someone without a lot of technical experience.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 26, 2009 7:39 PM
  • tlh53 said:

how do i schedule a task to put the server into a reduced power state?

i see that i can wake it up via scheduling a simple task (like calc.exe) to run  and check wake up to do this....but i don't see where/how i can schedule the system to go back into sleep mode. 

With the Add-In Lights Out you can send your server to sleep at a selected time.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:01 AM

All replies

• You can schedule a task to wake your server or put it into a reduced power state, assuming your hardware properly supports this. What you can't do is control exactly when a client backup will occur. Client backups aren't scheduled on the server; all you do there is specify the window within which a backup can happen. The clients choose a time within that window (within the first half, I believe). So your server would need to wake at the beginning of the window, and not go back to sleep until after the last backup finished (which could potentially be past the end of the window, if a client happens to take a long time to back up and starts relatively late).

None of this is "supported" because Microsoft's vision for the product is that it be simple to use, i.e. pretty much plug it in and it works. Getting power saving working can be daunting for someone without a lot of technical experience.

Monday, January 26, 2009 7:39 PM
  • how do i schedule a task to put the server into a reduced power state?

i see that i can wake it up via scheduling a simple task (like calc.exe) to run  and check wake up to do this....but i don't see where/how i can schedule the system to go back into sleep mode. 

Monday, January 26, 2009 11:47 PM
  • There is no supported tool which will shut your server down at a specific time, or put it into hibernation. I proposed a solution to a somewhat similar problem over here, for someone who wanted finer control of backups than WHS itself granted. However, please realize that that method is unsupported, and you utilize it at your own risk.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:15 AM
  • tlh53 said:

how do i schedule a task to put the server into a reduced power state?

With the Add-In Lights Out you can send your server to sleep at a selected time.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:01 AM
  • IMHO Lights Out Add-in as suggested by Olaf is the best solution.

However please note that irrespective of the method you choose you will need to disable the SBCore service to prevent your WHS from waking up automatically half an hour after you put it to sleep. The easiest way to do this is the method described by user spile1 in this thread

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:47 PM