none
Not Genuine RRS feed

• Question

1. Dell Laptop purchased in July 2007 for a college freshman (Dell D630 *required* config).
    2. Hardware problem caused replacement of Motherboard and CPU in early September.
    3. Re-image of hard drive due to file corruption at that time and loaded with OEM image by Dell.
    4. Subsequent blue-screen of death within 1 week and reloaded from Dell delivered DVDs.
    5. Works flawlessly for about a month and begin to get "not genuine" message.
    6. Reload from DVDs, all is well for about a month when "not genuine" message starts again.
    7. Call Dell, go through the story to get a new Product Key, they say "Call Microsoft" for licensing problems.
    8. Call Microsoft Product Activation, go through prompts of Phone Activation and find that the sequence of 9 sets of digits needed for confirmation ID are BLANK.  Get told to call main Microsoft Support number (800-642-7670)
    9. Call main support number and try to explain but I am told I have to pay 59.95 to open a support call or to call back Product Activation
    10. Try email support and have obtained incident number SRX1050268307 but the email address provided in the response is bounced by Microsoft's email server as an invalid address (v-30jzh@mssupport.microsoft.com)

Frustrated beyond belief...

Garry

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Garry,

This is strange. There is a few things that you've told me that doesn't match up with the Diagnostic Report that you posted. First, I will highlight and explain the discrepancies that I see and then I will provide some suggestions.

1) On line 9, it shows: Windows License Type: Volume MAK

"A Multiple Activation Key (MAK) is used for one time activation with Microsoft’s hosted activation services.  Each MAK key has a predetermined number of allowed activations dependent upon the volume license agreement that the customer has.  Each MAK activation with Microsoft’s hosted activation service counts towards the predetermined activation limit."

(Quoted from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb335280.aspx)

2) On line 18, it shows: Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Enterprise

"Windows Vista Enterprise is the premium edition of Windows Vista for businesses and is available exclusively to Microsoft Software Assurance customers."

(Quoted from http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/sa/benefits/vista.mspx)

(More information on Microsoft Software Assurance can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/sa/default.mspx)

As a rule, Volume MAK editions Licenses should not be sold to individual consumers. Large Corporations, Large Schools and Governments have legal agreements with Microsoft, which assign them a unique Volume MAK. Using their assigned Volume MAK to install software provides them with the flexibility of installing on many computers.

Dell can not sell computers with Volume MAK licenses pre-installed, Nor do they sell Vista Enterprise.

"Volume License Keys are product keys that enable your organization to use the software and products that you have licensed. They are issued to you under a specific license agreement. Volume License Keys can be used only with Volume Licensing products; they cannot be used with retail software or software that is preinstalled on a new computer (original equipment manufacturer, or OEM, products)."

(Quoted from http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/volumelicensekey/default.mspx)

Suggestions:

1) If the Volume MAK Product Key and the Enterprise version of Vista was supplied by your college, I suggest contacting the college's IT department for help in activating their Volume MAK license.

2) If the Volume MAK Product Key and the Enterprise version of Vista was supplied by your company, I suggest contacting the company's IT department (or your Volume License Account Rep) for help in activating their Volume MAK license.

3) If there was a mixup and the Volume MAK product key and the Enterprise version of Vista was mistakenly installed on this computer, I suggest reinstalling the appropriate version of Windows, back on the computer ,using the Windows Restore DVDs as outlined in the documentation that came with the computer.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, November 22, 2007 12:20 AM

All replies

• Apologies, I forgot to include the requested info:

Error from Validation [0xC004C4A8]

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50
    Online Validation Code: 0xc004c4a8
    Cached Validation Code: 0xc004c4a8
    Windows Product Key: N/A, hr=0xc004e017
    Windows Product Key Hash: N/A, hr=0xc004e017
    Windows Product ID: 55041-038-4773176-71391
    Windows Product ID Type: 6
    Windows License Type: Volume MAK
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.004
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {3FAF698D-ADD0-429E-ADC9-66A9DA0A35AA}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Enterprise
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_gdr.070828-1515
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A
    Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-282-80041010_025D1FF3-170-80041010_025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-434-80040154_025D1FF3-178-80040154_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-185-80070002_025D1FF3-199-3
    Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed
    File Scan Data-->
    Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{3FAF698D-ADD0-429E-ADC9-66A9DA0A35AA}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.004</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-BBBBB</PKey><PID>55041-038-4773176-71391</PID><PIDType>6</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1327304943-3306780914-3107223985</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Latitude D630                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A02</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070607000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7B313507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>DELL  </OEMID><OEMTableID>M08    </OEMTableID></OEM><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>3FBD5D70A1C8586</Val><Hash>F5Zv8npVgkKdsxqgvaZvVEE23wk=</Hash><Pid>89388-707-1281826-65535</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 
    Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:11 PM
  • Hi Garry,

This is strange. There is a few things that you've told me that doesn't match up with the Diagnostic Report that you posted. First, I will highlight and explain the discrepancies that I see and then I will provide some suggestions.

1) On line 9, it shows: Windows License Type: Volume MAK

"A Multiple Activation Key (MAK) is used for one time activation with Microsoft’s hosted activation services.  Each MAK key has a predetermined number of allowed activations dependent upon the volume license agreement that the customer has.  Each MAK activation with Microsoft’s hosted activation service counts towards the predetermined activation limit."

(Quoted from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb335280.aspx)

2) On line 18, it shows: Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Enterprise

"Windows Vista Enterprise is the premium edition of Windows Vista for businesses and is available exclusively to Microsoft Software Assurance customers."

(Quoted from http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/sa/benefits/vista.mspx)

(More information on Microsoft Software Assurance can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/sa/default.mspx)

As a rule, Volume MAK editions Licenses should not be sold to individual consumers. Large Corporations, Large Schools and Governments have legal agreements with Microsoft, which assign them a unique Volume MAK. Using their assigned Volume MAK to install software provides them with the flexibility of installing on many computers.

Dell can not sell computers with Volume MAK licenses pre-installed, Nor do they sell Vista Enterprise.

"Volume License Keys are product keys that enable your organization to use the software and products that you have licensed. They are issued to you under a specific license agreement. Volume License Keys can be used only with Volume Licensing products; they cannot be used with retail software or software that is preinstalled on a new computer (original equipment manufacturer, or OEM, products)."

(Quoted from http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/volumelicensekey/default.mspx)

Suggestions:

1) If the Volume MAK Product Key and the Enterprise version of Vista was supplied by your college, I suggest contacting the college's IT department for help in activating their Volume MAK license.

2) If the Volume MAK Product Key and the Enterprise version of Vista was supplied by your company, I suggest contacting the company's IT department (or your Volume License Account Rep) for help in activating their Volume MAK license.

3) If there was a mixup and the Volume MAK product key and the Enterprise version of Vista was mistakenly installed on this computer, I suggest reinstalling the appropriate version of Windows, back on the computer ,using the Windows Restore DVDs as outlined in the documentation that came with the computer.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, November 22, 2007 12:20 AM
  • Correct, required purchase of this Dell D630 with Vista for my daughter's college and it's their original image loaded that started this.  When she blue screened after the motherboard was replaced she reloaded from their factory DVDs which I guess didn't match the college's image and is probably what set off the license problem.

All roads lead back to the college for help but there seems to be no way to restore without waiting for her to go back to school which is 3.5 hours away.  I called them today and they claim they have no way to provide remote activation keys for us.  Vista is way too problematic at this point to support for an average college student who might need to replace a hard drive at some point and have to live through all this over again and the level of expertise even at the University's help desk doesn't come close to understanding the questions involved.  Their approach is "reimage the machine" every single time so she doesn't even keep her own data on the machine any longer.  All she does is keep everything important on USB external drives or keys (that I had to buy primarily because of this issue).  Plenty of kids running around that school are having similar problems and running back to have their machines reimaged all the time.  Each and every one of them that run into these problems complains loudly and are getting a very bad taste for Windows as a result.  Dell takes a hit as well since they lump it all into one basket regardless of the actual reasons. 

She can purchase XP at student rates and at least that won't lock her down and prevent her from doing work.  If this happened right before finals or when a major project was due this problem could have been a much bigger issue for us.

I build software for a living in a 100% Microsoft environment and have for many years.  I can reload machines in my sleep (and often do) and right now you couldn't give me a machine running Vista and not have me wipe the drive and load XP.

So Dell told me to call Microsoft.
    Microsoft tells me to call the college.
    The college help desk is staffed with students who are hired and taught how to reimage machines and they are now your face to the customer.

The customer isn't happy.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 5:40 AM
  • I completely agree with Garry, I too am working on my daughters Dell Laptop which after 6 months of use has suddenly stoppped working with Windows Activation errors stating invalid license key.  I even attempted to reinstall the license key that is printed on the Genuine MS Sticker...and received an error this is an invalid license. I too have worked in a completely MS shop for years and have not used Vista in our network environment for reasons that XP will do everything we need "and now I thank god" could you imagine having desktops and laptops stop working and throwing these types of errors and the only tech support you get tells you to run your system restore..........Pathetic..........My daughter is working on her finals and her presentations are on this computer.....had she listened to the outstanding advise from Dell and Microsoft support she would have lost all of her work,and will MS enjoy a law suite from a Parent asking for a refund of all the College tuition for the hours that were failed due to data loss, or have they creatively placed that exemption of liability in the Terms and Conditions that you have to agree to to even boot!!!!!!

So here I sit on ThanksGiving morning going into my third hour of working on  this problem, and I would like to thank MS for giving me this opportunity to dig deep into the workings of Vista, I had not spent much time with Vista and now I have come to the realization that MS is more worried about losing a few sales of Vista and making a product that becomes almost completely useless except to the most experienced MS users that have an understanding of the command line, if a simple file is corrupt.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 2:14 PM
  • You can get to the data.  From running in "reduced functionality mode" you should be able to type c:\windows\explorer.exe into the address bar and it will bring up windows explorer and you can browse and run most things.  Windows Update will fail but you can access pretty much what you want, just don't close that window that gives you the licensing options or it will log you off. 

I plugged in a USB hard drive and took all her data off so that this time when the school re-images the drive she will have all the pictures she took since the last 2 times this happened she lost them all.  All of her school work is stored on USB keys that she carries around but the pictures generally won't fit.

When she comes home for her big break in December she's bringing the disks with her and has already purchased XP at student rates so I will wipe the drive and load XP.  The school has downloads for all of the other programs like Office, antivirus, and the school-based utilities they use that will work with XP so at least I can troubleshoot without fear. 

My entire office has ordered probably 50-75 desktops and half a dozen laptops in the last 3 or 4 months alone and every one we specify XP because I'm not the only one in our firm that has had Vista troubles and we don't even have any plans on the horizon at this point to even start looking at Vista until the problem is acknowledged in a big way (not just a server glitch over the summer) and a major overhaul of WGA is built and rolled out (maybe Vista SP2 like XP SP2 will be the standard for this version of the OS).

I hate to play the Apple card but a while before the new MacBooks arrived I bought a Powerbook G4 for video and photography work because the versions of Adobe and Nikon software were much easier (IMHO) to use and better on the Mac and Office was so functional it could be a great general tool unless I was actually coding or working on MS specific work.  After a few years it still boots in under 20 seconds and is fullly functional before the XP logo disappears on the laptop I have that was bought this year.  Office works great and I can move docs around back and forth to work like it was a Windows machine and it's the one machine in the house my college and high school kids fight over.

Friday, November 23, 2007 3:32 PM