restore CD - Lan Issues - Acer Aspire One XP RRS feed

• Question

• Thanks to the folks here on the forum, I have managed to create a bootable image of the restore CD onto a 1GB USB Flash drive, for use on my new Acer Aspire One netbook, which has no CD drive.

The restore process intially runs just fine, correctly detects hardware, including the wired LAN.

"realtek rtl8102e family pci-e fast ethernet nic"

Despite detecting the wired LAN and claiming to have drivers for it - the LAN connection does not work with the restore program - no LED lights come on at the network connector.

The LAN works just fine when running under XP.

I tried downloading the XP drivers and putting them onto as SD card, then telling the restore program to load additional drivers.  The restore program claimed to find the drivers, but nothing changed. Same Lan interface under hardware (which was always labelled correctly), but no joy - the network connection does not light up.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

(PS - yes I am using latest drivers, and latest restore CD dowloaded from MS today)
    • Edited by dpkform Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:07 AM added info
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:06 AM

Answers

• FINALLY - SUCCESS !!!!! 

Well - the solution did lie in the Vista drivers.  I was, however, unable to load the vista drivers in XP - device manager told me they were not working.  I even tried regardless to do a backup, and then try the WHSrestore drivers from the backup to no avail.

I now have the 32 bit Windows 7 beta installed on the Aspire One.  Using the drivers from Windows Update, which are WHQL certified - the procedure still fails.

I went to Realtek's website, and doing a little digging found the exact drivers for the PCI express INTEGRATED chipset here:

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=7&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

I used version 6.213 for Vista.  Note that the auto vista driver installation program will not install drivers in Windows 7.  The vista driver must be manually installed.  I did so through the driver update option in the device manager.

Then - reboot the netbook, save a new backup, and retreive the Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore folder from that backup. I put the WHSDFR folder right onto the same flash drive that contained the latest WHS resptore program.  When it came time to load the drivers, I scanned for them and the restore program found the new drivers.  This time the driver was correctly specified as an RTL8102E driver - NOT a RTL8101E driver - which never worked with the restore program - but typically shows up as the LAN driver.  Upon loading the working driver, the LAN light came on again!

If anyone with an Acer Aspire One wants a copy of my working WHSDFR folder - let me know.  It is less than 4MB uncompressed.  Is there a way I can post it as an attachment here?

Thanks to all who provided me some clues.
    • Marked as answer by dpkform Wednesday, February 4, 2009 7:05 AM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 7:04 AM
  • I have submitted this bug via Microsoft Connect.

The report has id number 370856.
    • Edited by brubberModerator Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:09 PM added link so others can easily find and vote on this one
    • Marked as answer by brubberModerator Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:14 PM
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 10:56 PM

All replies

•  Please check BIOS settings. You may need to enable NIC. Other settings you can try there is to enable / disable PnP Os or manually assign IRQ for NIC. 
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:41 AM
  • thanks for a prompt reply

There are no network card nor PnP OS settings in the Acer Aspire One BIOS.  Well almost - there is an option to boot from LAN - which I have tried as enabled/disabled - makes no difference.  I realise I can't boot from LAN without a boot server, was just trying those settings in case by some fluke they made a difference.

The LAN does work just fine when running Windows XP, so I am certain the LAN is not disabled in the BIOS.

To clarify, I copied the Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore folder from a backup image where the LAN worked properly under XP.  No luck.

Interestingly the green lan connection LED flashed briefly while the restore program was intialising - just before reporting the devices restore had discovered.  Other than than that - the LAN remains dead in the restore program - but works just fine again when I boot into XP.
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:27 AM
  • OK, do you have a DHCP server in your network (often modem  / router works as DHCP server)? This is requirement for restore to work.

Also you could try making a direct connection between your WHS and the client using a crossed pair UPT cable (get it from your local computer store for a few bucks)

Most likely though it's some driver issue. You could try using Vista drivers for the NIC. Could also be storage drivers which are the actual problem, there's a few threads on this forum on similar problems with tablets.
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 2:05 AM
  • brubber said:

OK, do you have a DHCP server in your network (often modem  / router works as DHCP server)? This is requirement for restore to work.

Also you could try making a direct connection between your WHS and the client using a crossed pair UPT cable (get it from your local computer store for a few bucks)

Most likely though it's some driver issue. You could try using Vista drivers for the NIC. Could also be storage drivers which are the actual problem, there's a few threads on this forum on similar problems with tablets.

Brubber, this is a Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS) issue.  The hardware is not properly initialized by the WinPE driver. 

(I am suprised by the lack of LED because on my newer ethernet equipment the port LED lights up on physical connection independent of the OS.)

I have seen resolution achieved in other threads when a newer version of the driver (harvested from a subsequent Windows Vista installation) was used.  (See http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/whssoftware/thread/7d14c893-3435-4901-844f-d7808bab4c0c).  Is this network card in the HCL? (see http://mswhs.com/2007/09/27/find-compatible-hardware-for-windows-home-server/)  Network adapters are cheap.  It may cost less (time=money) to purchase a known-good network adapter just for restore.
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 2:31 AM
  • Stephen Charles Thompson said:
    Brubber, this is a Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS) issue.  The hardware is not properly initialized by the WinPE driver. 

(I am suprised by the lack of LED because on my newer ethernet equipment the port LED lights up on physical connection independent of the OS.)

I have seen resolution achieved in other threads when a newer version of the driver (harvested from a subsequent Windows Vista installation) was used.  (See http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/whssoftware/thread/7d14c893-3435-4901-844f-d7808bab4c0c).  Is this network card in the HCL? (see http://mswhs.com/2007/09/27/find-compatible-hardware-for-windows-home-server/)  Network adapters are cheap.  It may cost less (time=money) to purchase a known-good network adapter just for restore.

Thanks Stephen & Bruber

Yes, my router serves as a DHCP server. I have restored 4 other computers, 2 of them XP, 2 of them Vista, using the same network and WHS with no problems.

Stephen, I watched my network LEDs more closely.  When booting WHS restore from USB flash, the green LED is actually on pretty much from power-up. It stays on, and turns off shortly into the first information box in WHSR (WHS restore) utility - the box titled "Initializing restore CD".  It's as if loading the driver, then causes the loss of connectivity.

Here's what else I just tried based on your suggestions:
    -from device mananager, updated the LAN driver - confirmed it is a signed  MWHCP on the network card properties driver tab
    -intitiated a manual backup
    -opened up that backup, ans copied the W.H.S.D.f.R folder onto an SD card
    -rebooted into the restore program
    -it showed as usual the LAN driver
    -click the install driver button with the SD card inserted - to install newer drivers
    -still no joy :-( 

how do I ensure the restore program is loading the latest drivers? do I delete drivers from my HDD to force it to use the latest driver versions?

would rather avoid the purchase of another network adapter - and since this is a tiny little netbook, only a USB based NIC would be installable

if I can be certain the newest drivers are loading, then I can also try the vista driver

thanks for the hand holding

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:37 AM
  • I loaded Vista drivers for the NIC, did a backup, transferred the new WHSdrivers foler from the backup to my SD card, and tried again - but got the same results.

Hmm.  The MSI wind uses the same LAN adapter.  The Aspire One and MSI Wind are arguably the two most popular/highest rated Windows XP netbooks currently on the market - so this problem, in terms of netbooks may be more widespread.

Anyone have any success running WHS restore utility on either the MSI wind, Acer Aspire or any other mini netbook?
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:43 AM
  • I think currently your only option is to take the hdd out, connect it to another PC and then restore. Also please have a look at the threads Restore to Toshiba M400 Tablet? and WHS and EeePC
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:24 AM

• Interesting suggestion - that might work - but way too much of a PITA - especially given the AA1 requires a total disassembly just to insert a RAM chip.

thanks Bruber - but the quest is over.

This morning, my aspire one display completely stopped working for no apparent reason.  not even a hard reset, battery and power supply removed could bring it back.  the display on/off function key made no difference, nor would it output anything to a monitor connected to its VGA port. No intial BIOS screen - nothing at all.  I will be returning the AA1 to the store.

This is my second AA1 netbook in a month with a major display defect.  The first one I purchased a Linux model, right out of the box had a hardware display malfunction - the right 1/3 of the display did not work, and the bottom 1/3 was a repeat of the top 1/3.  This was even the case in the initial BIOS screens - pointing to a hardware defect.

I'm now considering the MSI wind as a replacement, but it uses the very same LAN chipset - hmm.  Don't want the Asus 1000H - it's too heavy and the 901 is waaaaay to expensive for a 9 inch netbook.  Forget the HP - slow as molasses and way overpriced.  Hmm.  Wonder what LAN chipset the forthcoming Lenovo S10 netbook uses.

Thanks again for your help - when I get a replacment netbook - I will update.
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:22 PM
  • dpkform said:

Interesting suggestion - that might work - but way too much of a PITA - especially given the AA1 requires a total disassembly just to insert a RAM chip.

Yes taking out the hdd unit is a lot of work, and will probably result in warranty issue

I think WHS team should look into this. These small things are getting more popular and you should be able to do a normal restore. Sorry to hear the machine failed.
    Friday, September 12, 2008 1:24 AM
  • I'm back - reviving this thread, as I have once again purchased an Acer Aspire One 150 series with Windows XP.  Turns out the issue of the display going completely blank was actually fixed by a BIOS upgrade. Everything works great on this tiny little netbook - except I still can't do a system restore with WHS, because as described above, the LAN light actually goes out as the restore program initialises.

I am running the latest BIOS - 3304.

I tried checking the XP hardware compatability list Stephen linked to on Philip Churchill's MWHS site, but I get errors tying to load the list.  My LAN driver is a signed Microsoft driver.

Installing a different LAN connector on a netbook is almost impossible - no internal motherboard connectors, no express/PCMCIA slot - the only thing that could work, is a USB to RJ11 style lan adapter.  Is there a list of such adapters known to work when booting into the WHS system restore client? (NOT a list of Lan chipset that work with WHS OS - that's not the problem). Perhaps I can use the driver for a different but similar chipset that is known to work?

With the AAO being the best selling netbook currently on the market - it seems silly to purchase a different network card. How can I go about getting this issue resolved, so that WHS restore utility will work with the Acer Aspire One?  I would think Microsoft would want this to be workable.

Many thanks for everyone's help.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 3:58 PM
  • Hi,
    How does the Aspire differentiate between wired and wireless settings, is this a hardware or a function switch choice? Having never seen one, I was wondering if, for some reason, the system is defaulting to the wireless setting, therefore isolating the wired NIC.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 6:14 PM
  • Colin Hodgson said:

Hi,
    How does the Aspire differentiate between wired and wireless settings, is this a hardware or a function switch choice? Having never seen one, I was wondering if, for some reason, the system is defaulting to the wireless setting, therefore isolating the wired NIC.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.

In the BIOS there are no settings for the NICs, except for the enable/disable boot from LAN.

When running the OS, there is a sliding switch, that you slide to the right to  to enable/disable wireless. The switch always springs back to the left - so it is more of a soft switch as opposed to a switch that would be off when to the left, and on when to the right.  Of course there is also the usual XP settings. The factory installed OS is XP home 32 bit. The wired LAN remains enabled whether or not the wireless LAN is enabled. When running my tests, I always have the LAN cable connected and working before rebooting and booting into the WHS program.

If you read my earlier posts in the thread, the wired LAN works fine in the OS, and uses signed windows drivers.  The odd behaviour is that when booting into WHS restore program with a LAN cable connected, the LAN connected green LED is on at power-on, but eventually shuts off as the WHS restore program intialises.  Very odd.  The WHS program correctly "detects" the LAN chip, but the green LED remains off and the wired LAN does not work when booting from the restore program.  I have tried various different drivers with no luck.

I am booting the WHS restore CD from a bootable USB flash drive - as these tiny netbooks don't come with CD/DVD drives - but the WHS restore program starts up fine - so that should not be an issue.

The signed drivers are for a realtek rtl8102e chipset.
    • Edited by dpkform Sunday, September 28, 2008 6:33 PM
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 6:24 PM
  • Can someone please point me to a list of USB to ethernet adapters known to work on CLIENT computers, when booting into the WHS restore utility to do a full system restore?

Thanks!
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 11:53 PM
  • just to keep advised of progress....

I did just notice that when the WHS restore program runs - it reports a very slightly different model number for my NIC

WHS restore program:  RTL8101E family
    Windows XP:              RTL8102E family

not sure if part of the clue is there, but even after telling WHS restore program to install drivers, which I have placed onto an SD card, from a backup with the latest drivers, I still get this conflicting report...

also - to confirm suspicion about the NIC LED going out - if when running Windows XP I disable the NIC in the control panel - the LED lights go out.... so the LAN lights going out in WHS restore certainly seem to be caused by driver issues

-more interestingly - the Realtek 8102E is listed on windowsservercatalog as compatible with Server 2008, but no listing for Server 2003

-yes, I tried to use the Visa drivers, but Windows XP reported that they were not working....
    Monday, September 29, 2008 3:09 AM
  • I have submitted this bug via Microsoft Connect.

• Edited by brubberModerator Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:09 PM added link so others can easily find and vote on this one
    • Marked as answer by brubberModerator Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:14 PM
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 10:56 PM
  • dpkform said:

I have submitted this bug via Microsoft Connect.

OK, that's the best thing to do with this type of issues. I hope they will provide a fix soon!
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:13 PM
  • dpkform said:

just to keep advised of progress....

I did just notice that when the WHS restore program runs - it reports a very slightly different model number for my NIC

WHS restore program:  RTL8101E family
    Windows XP:              RTL8102E family

not sure if part of the clue is there, but even after telling WHS restore program to install drivers, which I have placed onto an SD card, from a backup with the latest drivers, I still get this conflicting report...

also - to confirm suspicion about the NIC LED going out - if when running Windows XP I disable the NIC in the control panel - the LED lights go out.... so the LAN lights going out in WHS restore certainly seem to be caused by driver issues

-more interestingly - the Realtek 8102E is listed on windowsservercatalog as compatible with Server 2008, but no listing for Server 2003

-yes, I tried to use the Visa drivers, but Windows XP reported that they were not working....

One thing you can still try:

Can you please have a look in the folder containing the driver. You will probably find a file named RTL8102E.sys or something similar. You could try renaming this one to RTL8101E.sys (could also be the other way around)

If you do so you MAY also need the edit the contents of the .inf file which should be in the same folder accordingly ( replace RTL8102E with RTL8101E)

Could also be you only need to edit the inf file.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:40 PM

• I have heard nothing from Microsoft Connect - other than my issue on the connect website has a 4.7 rating from 2 replies.

brubber  - thanks for the idea to rename the .sys file

there is only one .sys file together in the folder which contains the .inf file that corresponds to the realtek 8102e driver.  the .inf file list the 8102E, 8101E, and several others from the same realtek "family"

does this mean the driver is the same for all variants?

I had another idea - a spin off of the idea to install the hard drive into another computer (the entire netbook would have to be disassembled - no easy access to the HDD - or even the SODIMM slots - so that's a non-starter)

What if I put a complete installation of Windows onto a flash drive - and ran Windows XP from the flash drive. There are how-to's on the web for this.   I would be running a full Windows version from the flash drive - the internal hard
    drive would not be the drive I had booted from.  In that case, could I restore the internal hard drive, while having booted into a full version of Windows off a flash drive?
    Friday, October 10, 2008 12:18 AM
  • dpkform said:

I have heard nothing from Microsoft Connect - other than my issue on the connect website has a 4.7 rating from 2 replies.

brubber  - thanks for the idea to rename the .sys file

there is only one .sys file together in the folder which contains the .inf file that corresponds to the realtek 8102e driver.  the .inf file list the 8102E, 8101E, and several others from the same realtek "family"

does this mean the driver is the same for all variants?

I had another idea - a spin off of the idea to install the hard drive into another computer (the entire netbook would have to be disassembled - no easy access to the HDD - or even the SODIMM slots - so that's a non-starter)

What if I put a complete installation of Windows onto a flash drive - and ran Windows XP from the flash drive. There are how-to's on the web for this.   I would be running a full Windows version from the flash drive - the internal hard
    drive would not be the drive I had booted from.  In that case, could I restore the internal hard drive, while having booted into a full version of Windows off a flash drive?

In theory this should work. You may also need the contents of the C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server folder. There's an executable named ClientRestoreWizard.exe which should get you into the restore procedure. (Or run the program from the restore CD)

Did you try renaming the .sys file and/or editing the .inf file?  I still think there's a fair chance there's the key to your problem. In the .inf file is there any reference to the .sys file?
    Friday, October 10, 2008 12:39 AM
  • How did you go about making your USB flash drive? I am attempting to repair my Aspire One, and have not had much luck thus far.

Thanks
    Monday, January 19, 2009 11:52 AM
  • Seems to be sometimes a bit difficult with integrating drivers into the recovery environment. If you can find Vista 32 Bit drivers for your network adapter or chip, this is the best chance. Extract them to the stick.
    Be also aware, that restore over a wireless connection is not supported, since the recovery environment does not work with encryption.
    For using a second client, you may check this FAQ.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, January 19, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Seems to be sometimes a bit difficult with integrating drivers into the recovery environment. If you can find Vista 32 Bit drivers for your network adapter or chip, this is the best chance. Extract them to the stick.
    Be also aware, that restore over a wireless connection is not supported, since the recovery environment does not work with encryption.
    For using a second client, you may check this FAQ.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

thanks Olaf - the suggestion of trying Vista 32 drivers was also put forth to me by Microsoft when I posted the problem on Microsoft Connect.  I could not, however, get any vista32 drivers to even work on the netboook under Windows XP.

I recently did a clean install of the Windows 7 beta 32 bit (Intel Atom CPU can not do 64 bit) onto my Aspire One netbook. I made sure to have the latest Windows 7 drivers from Windows update (which I assume are the same as Vista drivers).   I made a new WHS backup, loaded the latest WHS restore CD onto a bootable USB flash drive and tried again.

I had great hopes, but unfortunatlely, experienced the problem exactly as before. About half way through initialisation of the WHS restore program, the LAN LED light on the netbook goes out, and network connnectivity is unavailable.  So much for Vista/Windows7 drivers fixing the problem. :-(

I'm actually surprised this issue still exists. The Acer Aspire One is now by far the best selling netbook on the market, and netbooks are the fastest growing hardware segment in the computer industry. Rather embarrassing and disappointing for Microsoft IMO that their WHS restore program still does work with WHQL certifiied drivers on the world's most ubiquitous netbook.

Friday, January 30, 2009 9:12 PM
  • fritzzz25 said:

How did you go about making your USB flash drive? I am attempting to repair my Aspire One, and have not had much luck thus far.

Thanks

very easy to do if you have Windows Vista.  Just be sure that you don't specify the wrong drive in the command prompt, or you could wipe out your hard drive instead.

See here

http://kmwoley.com/blog/?p=345

or simple google something like bootable flash drive vista create partition primary
    Friday, January 30, 2009 9:19 PM
  • FINALLY - SUCCESS !!!!! 

Well - the solution did lie in the Vista drivers.  I was, however, unable to load the vista drivers in XP - device manager told me they were not working.  I even tried regardless to do a backup, and then try the WHSrestore drivers from the backup to no avail.

I now have the 32 bit Windows 7 beta installed on the Aspire One.  Using the drivers from Windows Update, which are WHQL certified - the procedure still fails.

I went to Realtek's website, and doing a little digging found the exact drivers for the PCI express INTEGRATED chipset here:

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=7&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

I used version 6.213 for Vista.  Note that the auto vista driver installation program will not install drivers in Windows 7.  The vista driver must be manually installed.  I did so through the driver update option in the device manager.

Then - reboot the netbook, save a new backup, and retreive the Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore folder from that backup. I put the WHSDFR folder right onto the same flash drive that contained the latest WHS resptore program.  When it came time to load the drivers, I scanned for them and the restore program found the new drivers.  This time the driver was correctly specified as an RTL8102E driver - NOT a RTL8101E driver - which never worked with the restore program - but typically shows up as the LAN driver.  Upon loading the working driver, the LAN light came on again!

If anyone with an Acer Aspire One wants a copy of my working WHSDFR folder - let me know.  It is less than 4MB uncompressed.  Is there a way I can post it as an attachment here?

Thanks to all who provided me some clues.
    • Marked as answer by dpkform Wednesday, February 4, 2009 7:05 AM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 7:04 AM
  • Well done and thanks for posting your final solution in so much detail! I'm sure this will help others in the future.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 8:19 AM
  • You rock dude.This morning i decided to install a linux distro but wasn't satisfied and time consuming..knowing that i have a back on my whs i went ahead and did the instal. However as mentioned i wasn't happy so i wanted to restore and i couldn't get it going and noticed that both wireless/wired were not blinking. At 8 PM here i am finally got it working thanks to you..
    You rock
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 4:51 AM
  • dpkform,

I've got an Aspire one with the same issue only Realtek's website seems to be down... any chance you could put the file up on rapidshare or something so it's accessible? My wife is dying to get her laptop back after the hard drive died and acer support had to replace it.
    Monday, May 4, 2009 9:37 PM
  • dpkform,
    Any chance you can post the drivers?  I have the same issue with my Aspire One and cannot get the LAN connection to activate in order to do a restore.  I did try downloading the drivers (Vista and Win 7) and putting them on the USB stick directly but it looks like WHS Restore does not find them or finds them but still utilizes the 8101 driver.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 5:31 PM
  • i need a copy of ur working whsdft folder containing the acer restore info..

thx rickey jones
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:11 PM
  • SUCCESS HERE TOO!

This is a definete bug with Windows Home Server and the post from dpkform is indeed the solution.

PLATFORM:
    MSI WIND U100 previously running Windows XP - attempting to use the WHS restore

ISSUE:
    The Windows Home Server Restore program incorrectly identifies the NIC in my MSI Wind U100 (aparently also affects other computers with RTL8102E integrated NICs)
    With the mis-identified driver installed, the system will not be able to locate the windows home server
    Downloading the most recent driver from Realtek does not solve the problem (a caveat to this statement... see below)

SOLUTION
    - Download from Realtek the Windows Vista / Server 2008 driver for the NIC at the link here (thanks to dpkform for pointing me here):

- Unzip the folder and place it in the  Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore folder on your USB stick or CD
    - When the restore program boots, click "details", then click "install drivers" and then Scan
    - The wizard will scan the media and find the Vista/Server 2008 driver and update the entry for network devices from the previous Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI-E Fat Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0) ... which doesn't work... to the Realtek PCIe FF Family Controller which does work

Microsoft, please fix this bug! 
    Friday, February 12, 2010 6:36 PM
  • I don't think the fault is with Microsoft - if you read around on the net there are many problems with RealTek drivers at the moment.

--
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:40 AM
  • you guys definitely rock.  the USB work around worked, and I feel like celebrating with some well-earned sleep.

Microsoft -- this is a HUGE issue for some software out here.  My affected box is a hp pavilion m8517c with realtek network chip.  It was misidentified in the startup and could NOT see the server until I got the right driver on the USB stick and forced a rematch.

What a pain!  If this had been an actual emergency, I might have lobbed this pc (and the server) right out into the street.  As it is, I was trying to build a bigger drive for a VMWare test of Vail.

Now I'm starting to question my sanity on that call.

files are shared, workstations are backed up (and occasionally restored) and life goes on...
    Monday, May 3, 2010 3:23 AM
  • I'm was recently  at a similar point with my daughter's Toshiba NB200.

My solution ?

I refused to waste my time.

Think about it. 

Considering  the size of the hard drives in today's Desktops, Laptops & Notebooks, it's idiotic  to even consider purchasing any  Personal Computer that does not have a built-in (Bootable) hard disk recovery partition.

I quickly restored  a HP (xp) Laptop with this feature, a year ago (the Lap-top  was at least 1+ years old then).

I'll be 68 years old this year. My time is obviously , quite valuable.

Give a near empty roll of  toilet paper a good yank & watch how fast it spins to the end.

That's how fast time flies for a Senior Citizen (smile).

When the HP came to me, I spent 1 hour on the HP support site finding  everything  I needed for this Lap-top with  a damaged CD Drive.

In the past, I  would probably would have spent hours focusing on the CD Drive , memory sticks, etc. Probably making matters worse.

My Son-in-Law (daughters husband)  is the General Manager of the Retail Store where this Toshiba was purchased(she's lucky)

Otherwise , I'd toss this into the trash and help her replace it  with a .. "state of today's art " Note Book .... seriously

Frank Paige

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:55 AM
  • I would appreciate getting a copy of your WHSDFR folder as I amhaving trouble restoring my acer aspire one note from WHS... please e-mail to mjackson@islandnet.com

Thanks

Saturday, July 24, 2010 5:55 AM
  • Hello,

Acer aspire one lan drivers for winxp. Good day.

Friday, January 7, 2011 8:42 PM
  • Hi.

I had the same problem with an Acer Aspire 1410 today after getting it back from Acer. It just needed a new keyboard but they insist on doing a complete restore of their default installation. I ended up having to download the Nic drivers from the Acer site and put them on the usb stick with the other drivers from the home server driver restore folder for the Acer.

In my case the nic light would not come on at all until the OS started up.

Now just waiting for the restore to finish. Fingers Crossed :)

gib

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 2:52 AM