WHS 2k11 BOOTMGR missing! RRS feed

• Question

• All Installed a usb backup and configured backup. It then asked me for a reboot due to pending installs and now BOOTMGR is missing. I have a RAID 5 controller with 3 disks of 500MB each, a 1.5 TB main and a 75GB extra disk. C is the main 1.5 D is the extra 75G E is the RAID I changed the letter of the DVD and MagicDisk to Z and Y, respectively, and set the backup to be W. Nothing works now with this miserable missing BOOTMGR. Any ideas yall? AR
    Cheers AR
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 11:10 PM

Answers

• found the solution for it.

When you have a raid card installed, the order of the disks at the bios might change. So after configuring RAID 5, reboot. If you see the error regarding the bootmgr, reboot again and go to setup of the bios, and make sure the disk where you installed WSH2 is the first one on the boot order. If not, realign the disks so it becomes the first one after the raid manager, and voila, the system boots up again.

Cheers..

AR

Cheers AR
    • Marked as answer by ARosenthal Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:02 PM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:02 PM

All replies

• All Installed a usb backup and configured backup. It then asked me for a reboot due to pending installs and now BOOTMGR is missing. I have a RAID 5 controller with 3 disks of 500MB each, a 1.5 TB main and a 75GB extra disk. C is the main 1.5 D is the extra 75G E is the RAID I changed the letter of the DVD and MagicDisk to Z and Y, respectively, and set the backup to be W. Nothing works now with this miserable missing BOOTMGR. Any ideas yall? AR
    Cheers AR

Can you boot with the installation disk and perform a repair?

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...

Friday, June 10, 2011 6:45 AM
  •  I booted with the DVD and it cannot find any image to be corrected. I guess WHS messed up the disks!

Cheers AR
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 11:40 PM
  • more into it: i removed the raid card and it booted. It seems that if I enabled dynamic disks at my raid 5 it loses the MBR, even though I did not set the dynamic as master! I then rebooted the box, reset the raid to dynamic and it did it again!!!!

Cheers AR
    • Unmarked as answer by ARosenthal Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:02 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 12:11 AM
  • found the solution for it.

When you have a raid card installed, the order of the disks at the bios might change. So after configuring RAID 5, reboot. If you see the error regarding the bootmgr, reboot again and go to setup of the bios, and make sure the disk where you installed WSH2 is the first one on the boot order. If not, realign the disks so it becomes the first one after the raid manager, and voila, the system boots up again.

Cheers..

AR

Cheers AR
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:02 PM