Can't remove Windows ID RRS feed

• Question

• I have decided to try and export my money file, which is running in Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe, to Quicken, even though I am a UK user, as I don't want to risk losing the data and Windows 10 seems to me to be a threat. I can access the file using an old Windows Live ID and password combination.  However, when I try and do the Quicken import, Quicken asks me for a password and says that the actual Money password is incorrect.  When I try to remove the Windows Live ID from the Money file, it simply says that it wasn't removed and invites me to try again.  Disconnecting my internet connection makes no difference to this step.  When I try to change the Windows Live ID I use to login, it says that it could not verify my sign-in information but when I click "check server status", it takes me to an MSN Money page (with live data) at which I am already signed in.

I'd be most grateful for any thoughts!

Sunday, June 28, 2015 1:39 PM

All replies

• First, all reports are the Money works just fine with all the pre-release versions of Windows 10.  It is likely that it will also be fine with the final version.

Nevertheless, it is a good idea to remove your live ID password even if you decide to postpone a conversion to Quicken.  Here are Cal Lerner's standard instructions for this:

Disconnect from the Internet.  Pull your ethernet cable or turn off your modem -- whatever it takes.  Start Money, click below the password field to select "I want to sign in to Money directly, without access to all online services." then click Next. You tried to change your LiveID, but you must use the credentials that were in effect at the time that you saved that Money file.

When you make it into your file, go to File-PasswordManager, and choose to remove your LiveID.  To remove or add a conventional password, also see File->PasswordManager.

Exactly what happens when follow these steps?

Bill Becker

Sunday, June 28, 2015 3:41 PM
  • There are no reports of program incompatibility with Windows 10, for Money versions or anything else. Money 2005 UK works under both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 10 preview.

If you have seen How do I import/convert my Microsoft Money to work in Quicken for Windows? you will know you need to upgrade to Money Sunset Deluxe before importing.

Ameridan's Microsoft Money Offline Weblog includes:

"IMPORTANT!! (Courtesy of Cal Learner)

People using LiveID (Passport) in Microsoft Money should turn that off by logging in offline.   You may have to do this to accomplish that:

Disconnect from the Internet. If using Money Plus, change the date on your computer to a date in January, such as 2011 Jan 15.   Start Money, and log in offline.    Remove your LiveID.   Do not attempt to change your LiveID.

To remove the Live ID, go to File-Password Manager, and choose to remove your LiveID.   To remove or add a conventional password, also see File->Password Manager.

If you get a warning that you cannot remove the LiveID, turn off Tools->Settings->ReceiveAccountUpdatesFromMsnMoneyMyAccounts if you set that,even if you leave on Live ID to work with Ultrasoft Money."

Sunday, June 28, 2015 3:46 PM
  • Thanks, Bill.  There is a post on this forum about Money crashing in Windows, but there are also others saying that it's fine.  I disconnected from the Internet and opened the Money file using the old credentials (which I suspect may be out of date for Microsoft's other purposes - I certainly don't use the Hotmail account which is the Live ID.  I don't have the option below the password field that you mention, only a check box for "Remember me".  I click next and the file opens.  When I go to File password manager and choose to remove my Live ID, it simply says that it wasn't removed and invites me to try again.
    Sunday, June 28, 2015 4:30 PM
  • Thanks, Dominic.  There is a report on this blog of Money crashing under Windows 10 but maybe that's a one off.  The Quicken article you mention says that Quicken will import from Money Plus Deluxe, which is what I am running.  I have struggled in the past to get my file to open in the UK sunset program (a password issue, again), so was hoping to get direct from the version I have which is struggling along.

If I was to try and install the UK or the US sunset version, I'd be worried that if they couldn't open my file, I might not get back to this version which works.  Is there a way to archive the old program files?  I guess setting a Windows restore reset point might be one way...

Sunday, June 28, 2015 4:59 PM
  • AMGSwift - When you Help>About, what version of Money do you have?  Do you have an install disk?  Note that if you have a US version then Money UK will not open your file.  Unfortunately, it gives that password error rather than telling you the real reason, -  that your file is incompatible with Money UK.  Did you try Dominick's suggestion: turn off Tools->Settings->ReceiveAccountUpdatesFromMsnMoneyMyAccounts ?

Dominick - Please chime in here if you have any ideas.  I'm off for a run.

Bill Becker

Sunday, June 28, 2015 5:21 PM
  • Money Plus Deluxe is a US only version of Money. The version the Quicken update instructions link to is Money Sunset Deluxe.

If you do not have an installation disk, the only available Money version which can open your data file is Money Sunset.

See the second, sticky post in this forum for the qif export method to preserve your data (and import it to a different regional version of Money if you want). This is a tedious process.

Sunday, June 28, 2015 5:33 PM