none
Router and Port forwarding learning?

Question

• Hello guys!

I'm new here and I came here to learn and also to share my knowledge with you people, just like you'd do for me and the others. I'm really excited to get active! 

Second, I have some opportunity for a job as a junior administrator and I have some criteria that I'd need to learn in the next months and one of them is routing and port forwarding but this topic for me is really unknown because I skipped it and focused on "bigger" things to learn, so now I need to focus. My question is what can you tell me about the routing and port forwarding? I'm not talking about the basic stuff, I know them but I am wondering what would be my job with this except the Remote Access, opening and making ports, maybe some program would need me to open a port, keep it, change things in the firewall... yes, this is all I know buuuut what else? I don't think it is that easy, I really need to master it. Do you have maybe online study materials to share, give some expert opinion, share some practice, explain me how to train maybe or if you only tell me what the tasks would I have except the ones that I shared I would manage to understand the things better, because all these tutorials I see are some basic stuff ooor it is only this thing when it comes to routing and port forwarding?

Thanks in advance and you're the only people I can ask! :) 

B.S.

Sunday, May 22, 2016 7:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, Band.

I would start off looking at some of the resources offered by Cisco here:
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/learning_center

Granted - their training is going to be based on Cisco routers but there is a lot of great information on the site.

As well, you can check out Microsoft Virtual Academy (MVA) for the free training located there on networking essentials, such as these courses:
    https://mva.microsoft.com/search/SearchResults.aspx#!q=networking&lang=1033

Since these a re fundamental training topics that have been around for years, you may also be able to pick up some cheap used books from Amazon or eBay on these topics.

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Monday, May 23, 2016 9:29 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Davin,

I forgot to mention that I will be focused primarily and only (at least at the beginning) on the software routing (Windows). I will check for Cisco because I do believe they will explain to me some things that you cannot really learn about routing, but if there's some little differences that you could remember and notes that you want to leave I would be happy to hear them. 
    And also can you give me a few examples - real life scenarios about the tasks that I would have. I mentioned a few but I still feel like there's some other tasks that I don't know, and if I hear them I could also make some environment to practice more, because I don't believe it is only about making VPN, Remote Access, opening ports, making new ports for apps and redirecting some connection... or is it? I really would get better understanding when I know what other tasks exists in the real world when it comes to this subject.

Thank you so much!
    Tuesday, May 24, 2016 11:50 AM