MSFWDrv service and MSFWHLPR RRS feed

• Question

•  The button for TURN ON FIREWALL does not fix the problem of the firewall not being loaded.  I went to services and although Automatic, it was not started and I could manually force it to start.

Checked dependencies and another service it requires wasn't the problem, but it also indicated a DRV was necessary as well. Event log info from EVENTVWR: "MSFWDrv service depends on the following nonexistent service: msfwhlpr"

A more generic error message elsewhere was "MSFWDrv service failed to start ... dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion"

I have followed all the program steps, HELP steps, repair tool download steps, rebooted, etc. (and there was no previous firewall or antivirus solution on this patched/updated XP Pro machine ... other than the built-in network settings of SP2 and WINDOWS DEFENDER which OneCare apparently disabled)

Thanks for any ideas and next steps to try -- besides uninstalling and reinstalling -- since if it gets uninstalled it is going back for refund, not back on any more machines.
    Monday, December 22, 2008 6:59 PM

Answers