incorrect os for my product key RRS feed

• Question

• I have an emachines home computer I bought for my son the problem is that for some reason it is running on a windows 7 pro version and I cant validate it without that particular product key I am trying to replace the  current running platform to its original os which is windows 7 premium 64 bit how do I do that
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:13 AM

Answers

• The product key on the sticker on your computer's case cannot be used to change the installed edition of Windows from Professional to Home Premium.  You have to reinstall Windows to do that.  If you don't have the original Windows recovery disks you can order recovery disks from the manufacturer or a third party like Recovery-Disks.com.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 7:05 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• There is a difference between activation, which requires a product key if the embedded one isn't working, and validation, which is an entirely different process and does not require entry of a key.  If you are being requested to enter a 25-digit product key then look on the side of the case (desktop) or on bottom or in the battery compartment (laptop) for the product key for the original Windows.  However, if you are restoring the copy of Windows that was installed at the factory then there should be no need to enter a product key since the OEM SLP copy self-activates on installation.

Windows 7 Professional is a better choice than Home Premium, so why are you trying to change it?

Please follow the instructions in announcement 1 at the top of this page if you are looking for help with a licensing problem.  Please also give the model of the emachine.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:17 AM
    Answerer
  • I really dont want to resort to windows premium but due to some thiefs that needed my computers and software more than I did I have no way to fix the icon that pops up and tells me to make the copy genuine,  I dont have the money to purchase another copy of windows 7 so I figured I would just use the original product key on the emachine- EL1333G-01w I just dont know how to do that either I messed up and put the windows 7 pro I purchased that they  didnt take in this computer that my good friend gave to me for my son, not thinking I had already used all the installations on my laptop, my sons laptop, and our home computer, so after it installed the product key didnt work so I am stuck with no original software for the emachine or a product key that hasnt been used too many times.  I called microsoft and gave them all the information for the windows 7 I did purchase and asked if there was anyway they could invalidate the other installations they said no not even if I sent the police report.  So anything you can suggest would be appreciated.  Thanks again
    christina brown
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 6:55 AM
  • The product key on the sticker on your computer's case cannot be used to change the installed edition of Windows from Professional to Home Premium.  You have to reinstall Windows to do that.  If you don't have the original Windows recovery disks you can order recovery disks from the manufacturer or a third party like Recovery-Disks.com.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 7:05 AM
    Answerer