Client Backups and Server Backups Over 2TB RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have the latest build of WHS2011. I have 4 client computers to back up, totaling MORE than 2TB. 

I set up the server with a 1TB C: drive, (which the server set up as C: for the OS, and D: for the shared folders), and a raid 10 array with 4 2TB drives, effectively giving me 4TB of usable space (E: drive). 

Since the client computer backup folder is on D: by default, I moved it to the array (E: drive), which the server allowed me to do. 

All client computers backed up, and continue to back up successfully. In case this makes any difference, I should point out that the total of all client computer backups at the moment, is only 1.6TB, however the potential for the client backups is well over 2TB. 

Here is the problem. I set up an external raid box with 4TB of storage to act as the server backup drive. I set up the server to back up to this drive, and when the checkboxes came up to ask what to include, I found the drive E: (4TB raid array) was not selected. When I tried to select it, I received an error message saying that a drive larger than 2TB cannot be selected for backup! 

So, the question becomes, how do I set up the drives inside the server to back up the client computers that potentially will have more than 2TB of data, and at the same time, be able to back that data up to a server backup drive?

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 5:40 PM

All replies

• This was posted by Microsoft yesterday on a Connect thread:

this will be a KB article soon. Can you see if it solves at least the server backup wizard blocking issue for you

To remove the 2TB limit in the backup wizard.
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Server\Server Backup
    QWORD MaxVolumeSize = n
    N is some number larger than your volume size. 2TB is 0x1FDFFE00000 or 2190431223808 bytes

Server backup will automatically switch to what is known as file based backup.

Keep in mind that this doesn’t solve the issue that a backup can only be <2tb. This is a limitation in the VHD file format that windows server backup uses. This is going to get fixed in the future. I tried to get it fixed for this release but it is a huge thing to change and involved getting a commitment from 3 different teams. I couldn’t win that fight.

But it will get rid of the limit in our backup feature where volumes must be less than 2 TB

It might work for you.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 6:58 PM
  • Thanks so much for the answer! Before I do this, let me see if I understand. Making that registry change will allow me to select a drive for backup (in my case E:), even thought it is larger than 2TB, HOWEVER, it will still not back up the data, if the data itself is >2TB. Correct?
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 8:16 PM
  • On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 20:16:56 +0000, joemama613 wrote:

Thanks so much for the answer! Before I do this, let me see if I understand. Making that registry change will allow me to select a drive for backup (in my case E:), even thought it is larger than 2TB, HOWEVER, it will still not back up the data, if the data itself is >2TB. Correct?

Correct.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Bar chart:  A list of places to go when it's Miller time.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 8:44 PM
  • I have also agonized with this since my "upgrade" from WHS 2003.  I find it nothing less than incredible that anyone would create a server OS that cannot back up the data.

My server is configured with 4 2-tb disks dynamically formatted into one volume for a total of 8tb.  My OS boot disk is on a separate 300gb SATA.  I got around the insanity by creating another 8-tb dynamic disk on an external NAS.  I am backing the server data disk (f:\serverfolders\) using ...... ready for this?.......  ROBOCOPY!  Can you believe this.  Is this the best Mr Softie can do?  I'm backing up my 2011 8 terabyte disk with a DOS program... I have to laugh to keep from crying...

You must use the correct switches to be the closest thing to an incremental backup.... I'm using

Source : f:\serverfolders\     ***** Server data
         Dest : g:\serverfolders\   ***** NAS backup drive

Files : *.*

Options : *.* /S /E /COPYALL /Z /XO /MT:8 /R:3 /W:10     *****  Switches

This works for a bandaid until Mr Softie hires some management who has any idea of what is going on.

This leaves me with ONLY ONE obsticle (at the current time) that I cannot get past.... that is...

When I try to create a System Restore Disk using the app in the Maintenance Program folder, I get the following error...

"System repair disc could not be created.  The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)"

I cannot create a system restore disk so I still SOL if/when my boot disk crashes....  Sad but true...

If anyone knows of a workaround for this, please let me know..

Thanks.

Little Johnny
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 8:46 PM
  • I started another thread on this a while ago, and there is an answer, but it will take a little work.  Virtual hard drives are limited to 2tb's.  Through the dashboard, there is no way to set up a server backup if you are over 2tb's.  However, if you run the backup service on the server itself, and not through the dash board, you can set up backup to back up server folders individually.  Essentially this gives each folder it's own VHD, and allows you to back up the data.  Feedback has been filed on connect, and basically they have said it is what it is until the next version.  Even better, is there is really no way to manage the server backups either.  Some things can be done with command line, but thats about it.

Hope that helps

D.W.
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 8:55 PM