OneCare has quarantined Adware:Win32/LenovoMCP and doesn't provide assistance & OneCare Help bombs out... RRS feed

• Question

• OneCare recently popped-up a message to say that it had found a file that it defined as Adware: Win32/LenovoMCP and suggested that it be quarantined, which I did.

When I have gone to the Virus Database it just tells me that the file was only discovered 2 days ago on 26/6/09 and while it says that it has/is of Moderate Risk it doesn't provide any more information than that.

Since the pop-up and quarantine I have performed a full system scan this morning and it presented me with a heap of related files and registry settings, which have now also been quarantined.

When I have attempted to seek support assistance from OneCare, after completing all of the information despite being told that I will get an email concerning the query, the Support request bombs out right at the end with an Error Message saying "We apologize for the inconvenience. Thre was an error in the submission. Please try again later." !  This is the second time that exactly the same response has been received following another query that I attempted to submit withing the last 1-2 weeks - which also remains unresolved.

All of this despite my 'belief' that the file in question is a legitimate file in that it is one that relates to my computer hardware and warranty & support thereof.

Where do/can I go to from here?

BTW - I am and have been a OneCare Subscriber since very early in the piece!
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 9:55 AM

Answers

• Send an e-mail with One Care in the subject line to jrap107@msn.com and include in the body your screen name and the country you are located in and I will help you reach support.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 1:12 PM

All replies

• Send an e-mail with One Care in the subject line to jrap107@msn.com and include in the body your screen name and the country you are located in and I will help you reach support.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 1:12 PM
  • Will do! Email sent...
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 1:16 PM
  • i got the same promotion too, from Defender

Windows Defender Warning
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 2:32 PM
  • It's hard to tell if it is a false positive or malware. In searching the web I have seen results that indicate both. I suggest submitting a sample of the quarantined file for analysis. I believe you can do this directly from within Defender in the Help drop down menu.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 2:46 PM
  • Based on the information in the link you provided there is no need to submit a sample. I would delete or quarantine the file but you could set Defender to ignore if you don't mind the occasional pop up.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 2:53 PM
  • actually i really care about that ads popup window, it's an offense, i think, i should thank Defender for that :)
    of course, it's another topic, though :)
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 2:57 PM
  • As JimR1 says, this has been addressed within the definitions, so no need to submit a sample. 
    If you have definition 1.61.794.0, Lenovo will no longer be detected.  So, if you update your signatures, you will not have this detection issue.

Thanks,
    Friday, July 10, 2009 8:31 PM