Windows Live ID not working for MS Money Sunset RRS feed

• Question

• Since May, I have not been able to sign into Money Sunset using my Windows Live ID.  I saw the suggested fixes -- two problems:

- I noticed that everyone who can not sign into their Money program using Windows Live ID, is using an OLD version of Money.  I have Sunset.

- When all of this started, I thought that I had a problem with my Windows Live ID.  So I changed it, which I've since found out may be a problem.

- My old Windows Live ID was all lowercase (it was very, very old).  Windows Live ID will no longer allow you to change your password to all lower case (with no special characters or numerals).

Please advise me as to next steps.  I am desperate to get to this information!  Thank you.

• Edited by kamarsh Sunday, July 13, 2014 1:11 AM
    Sunday, July 13, 2014 1:05 AM

Answers

• You should be able to access it again.

But, ....I'm not sure that I understand your situation.  Are you saying that you were able to open a backup file on your new laptop?  Using your old password?  If so, then when you closed Money, it would have saved a .mny file on the new laptop.   That file should still be associated with the old password and should still be accessible off-line with the old password.   Are you sure that you are disconnected from the internet when you try to open the file?

If, on the other hand, you have never been able to open any of your Money files with the new laptop, there may be be other possibilities.

Bill Becker

• Marked as answer by kamarsh Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:11 PM
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:26 PM

All replies

• Did you try disconnecting from the internet and logging in offline?  See this post for more detail:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7b9f4503-1b11-4e43-90ad-05a065db5a47/not-able-to-login-with-window-live-id-in-microsoft-money-plus?forum=money

Bill Becker

Sunday, July 13, 2014 1:29 AM
  • Thank you for responding.  Although I unchecked the box "I want to sign into Money directly, without access to all online services," I got this error message:  "You must be connected to the internet to sign in."

Please keep the ideas coming....

Sunday, July 13, 2014 9:56 AM
  • What happens if you check that box?

Bill Becker

Sunday, July 13, 2014 12:15 PM
  • It doesn't allow me to log in.  I am told that my “e-mail address or password is incorrect.  Please try again.”  The problem I am having is similar to the issue described in a thread, the link for which I will post as soon as I have been verified as a trusted user.

As I mentioned in my first message above, I have already changed my password, which (according to the thread I am referencing) is going to create a problem.  And MS will not allow me to change it to my old password because it was all lowercase letters.

Sunday, July 13, 2014 10:35 PM
  • I assume you did this, - but just to be sure, did you try:

- disconnecting from the internet

- checking "I want to sign into Money directly, without access to all online services"

- entering your old email (if you changed that) and your old password

Money Plus discontinued the use of Window Live ID and your Money file will expect the password that was in effect when that discontinuation happened.  Note that once you get in you should remove the Windows Live ID.  In Money, look at: File>Password Manager.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Monday, July 14, 2014 2:16 PM typo
    Monday, July 14, 2014 12:47 AM
  • Thank you for your responses.  I really appreciate it.  I have seen this string of messages and have found them very helpful:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/07733ece-a19a-469b-9f5d-d7ce45465364/windows-live-sign-in-problem-for-microsoft-money-7?forum=money

I did try entering the old password on a backup file -- and it worked.  However, this worked right after I migrated to a new laptop, and I thought that the whole thing was resolved...and I may have deleted all of my backup files (I am not sure).  I live overseas and did not bring the old laptop with me.  It is in my parents' house and I will still be able to access it, in about five months -- maybe!

If I already got access to the old file using my old password, will I be able to access it again?  Or would it only work once?  If I can get into the file again, I certainly will remove the Windows Live ID.

Thank you again for your suggestions.  I look forward to your feedback.

Kristine

Thursday, July 17, 2014 9:11 AM
  • You should be able to access it again.

But, ....I'm not sure that I understand your situation.  Are you saying that you were able to open a backup file on your new laptop?  Using your old password?  If so, then when you closed Money, it would have saved a .mny file on the new laptop.   That file should still be associated with the old password and should still be accessible off-line with the old password.   Are you sure that you are disconnected from the internet when you try to open the file?

If, on the other hand, you have never been able to open any of your Money files with the new laptop, there may be be other possibilities.

Bill Becker

• Marked as answer by kamarsh Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:11 PM
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:26 PM
  • Thanks, Bill, for all of your replies and help.  (Apologies for the delay.  I was on business trips and personal trips, too.)  I was able to get into MS Money, removed the Windows Live ID from Password Manager, backed it up, and opened the program without any problems.  Luckily, I still had one of the old backups that had not been messed up with the new password that I created, and I had the presence of mind to turn off the wi-fi connection before trying to get in.  I really really appreciate all of your patient help; thanks again so very much!

Kristine

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:11 PM