Confused regarding Exam 70-536 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody.

I'm getting conflicted information regarding what passing exam 70-536 entitles me to. Some say I get nothing, other sources say I get an MCTS certification. Which is the right answer?

Second question: even if I get no certificate, and considering the knowledge the exam covers, I'm still planning taking the test – that is, assuming I'll be able to prove I've passed the exam by means of showing my transcript. Is this information correct? If it is, what are your thoughts on this matter?

70-536 would be my first exam. After it I plan doing 70-511.

Thanks in advance!

Friday, July 15, 2011 2:53 PM

Answers

• The best place to look is the Microsoft Learning site.  70-536 is a required exam before taking anything else.  It's a foundational exam.  It provides credit TOWARD other MCTS designations (as noted on this page - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-536&locale=en-us).  Ergo, you do not earn the MCTS designation by passing just this exam (you would earn the right to call yourself a MCP though).

And yes, the knowledge you gain from just passing thix exam would help in the job market.

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Saturday, July 16, 2011 1:38 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Bruno S. Rabelo Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:39 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Sunday, July 17, 2011 10:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bruno S. Rabelo Sunday, July 17, 2011 11:27 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 4:14 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 10:44 AM

All replies

• The best place to look is the Microsoft Learning site.  70-536 is a required exam before taking anything else.  It's a foundational exam.  It provides credit TOWARD other MCTS designations (as noted on this page - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-536&locale=en-us).  Ergo, you do not earn the MCTS designation by passing just this exam (you would earn the right to call yourself a MCP though).

And yes, the knowledge you gain from just passing thix exam would help in the job market.

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Saturday, July 16, 2011 1:38 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Bruno S. Rabelo Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:39 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Sunday, July 17, 2011 10:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bruno S. Rabelo Sunday, July 17, 2011 11:27 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 4:14 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you for the answer :)

I just would like to be absolutely certain regarding this information, though, before marking the topic as answered: even if I don't take any of the exams that completing 70-536 opens up, I still will be able to hold a record on my transcript that proves I passed the exam, right?

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:39 AM
  • Yes

Jeff Wharton

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 10:44 AM
  • Thank you!
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 11:28 AM
  • No problem and thanks for markig your question answered
    Jeff Wharton

Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:04 PM