Build 2.0.2318.12 Not so good build RRS feed

• General discussion

• *Firewall status notices are no longer there allow or block I need to know

*First off The firewall interfiering with thease forums and about 20 other websites

*Firewall Autodetect & allow or block not functioning everything blocked not sure why. ((xbox360 media extender not getting allowed))

I can only allow manually what I know how to and what. This was not an issue in previous builds What went wrong I wonder.

*AV/spy scan much better starting out but started slowing down my first scans after update flew now it veries run times depending of vista condition at the time. 

*Monthly report did not like the Hard restart Update It was failing till it regenerated a report in 24hrs

*Windows Security Center alert Flashes up and goes away in an idle state.

*Ah the updated Print Sharing great setup if no printer is networked and nothing in the network devices aka My Network if your on xp Network if your on Vista update installed on exsisting setup was a 4hr major nightmire I previously posted a thread.

Comment: What in gods name was this build suppose to do Frustrate the Living Hell out of the Beta tester or What? This build runs right up there with Windows ME. It's a flipping mess guys.

Notice I didn't even mention tune-up.  

Saturday, August 18, 2007 3:18 AM

All replies

•  Mikro wrote:

*Firewall status notices are no lomger there allow or block I need to know

I'll have to disagree with you there. Problems is one thing, and those obviously needs to get fixed, but you don't actually need to get notified when the FW *allows* a program.

If you've something dangerous that gets blocked, you should get notified, but having the FW say all the things like before with IE allowed, Installation programs allowed, Utilities allowed, Alternative security programs allowed, God knows what allowed - is VERY obtrusive. You don't need to know what it allows. If everything is running - fine - either it's safe, or the FW doesn't know something is dangerous - nothing to do. If something is blocked - okay - I need to get rid of it, or solve it if it's false alarm - that's it.

It's a struggle to make the program less obtrusive with notifications we actually don't need. If the icon is all green and happy - good - I'm probably ready to go. They're heading in the right direction by doing so, cause many people have been irritated or frustrated by those things and complained about it.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 11:38 AM
  • Then how the heck do you know it's working or not working?

I don't see nothing I assume it's not working there's only one thing allow right now and that's media center and the only reason why It's allow I spent 4hrs manually typing the 12 apps and there required ports one by one finally I can get my xbox360 working I'm Mad aa hell over these changes there are still 23 other devices I gotta look up to mannually add now because the auto detection and configuring the firewall isn't working.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 3:06 PM
  •  Mr. Murphy wrote:
     Mikro wrote:

*Firewall status notices are no lomger there allow or block I need to know

I'll have to disagree with you there. Problems is one thing, and those obviously needs to get fixed, but you don't actually need to get notified when the FW *allows* a program.

If you've something dangerous that gets blocked, you should get notified, but having the FW say all the things like before with IE allowed, Installation programs allowed, Utilities allowed, Alternative security programs allowed, God knows what allowed - is VERY obtrusive. You don't need to know what it allows. If everything is running - fine - either it's safe, or the FW doesn't know something is dangerous - nothing to do. If something is blocked - okay - I need to get rid of it, or solve it if it's false alarm - that's it.

It's a struggle to make the program less obtrusive with notifications we actually don't need. If the icon is all green and happy - good - I'm probably ready to go. They're heading in the right direction by doing so, cause many people have been irritated or frustrated by those things and complained about it.

I fully agree with you Mr Murphy.

When I go into the FW-settings, then I can still see which programs etc are allowed or not.

I can change these settings myself if I want to.

If there is one thing about OneCare that I like then it is the fact that it is not obstrusive.

I don't see (or understand)  the problem that some people have with respect to the firewall.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 3:53 PM
  • Here's an example behind the allow notices MiKro Virus Allowed Lets Say.

You be like what the heck is a MiKro Virus? you'd run into fire wall settings and shut it down at least I would because I know what MiKro Virus is.

If the allowed prompts weren't there something might be allowed to run you don't want to be allowed.

Then after you seen that you might wanna do a full complete virus/spy scan.

Because I know one thing you don't want a MiKro Virus running around or your system.

Another thing I just thought of the allow prompts gone. It puts a lot a faith in the firewall policy updates that get released. What if a error in those policy updates mess up one of your programs from running you would never know if the program was allowed. or not wloc would never ask. with the way it's setup now.

I didn't know there was an Issue with my xbox360 media extender & connector till I turned on my 360 and media extender error popped up then I had to click this click that in wloc to find out extender wasn't automaticly allowed.

Then it took me 4 hours to add each app of the Media center and configure the ports manually through trial & error.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 4:06 PM
  • Mikro, the only thing that will be allowed without prompting are recognized programs on an approved list within the Firewall rules that are provided via update from the OneCare servers and those programs need to be digitally signed, too.

-steve

Monday, August 20, 2007 1:37 AM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

Mikro, the only thing that will be allowed without prompting are recognized programs on an approved list within the Firewall rules that are provided via update from the OneCare servers and those programs need to be digitally signed, too.

-steve

That's nice to known but the changes to the alert system I was use to the old setup and it's been changed in 2.0.2318.12 I'm not liking it.

Monday, August 20, 2007 1:45 AM