Advanced Find in Textfield for a word and not a part of a word RRS feed

• Question

• We use CRM4.0 and in our "contacts" we have a text-field.

Now we want to search in this field -> so far, no problem

I use "Advanced find" -> select the "text field" en choose "contains" the word we are looking for :"gis"

BUT my search results displays also the records who's contains gis in a other word.  (that's a difficult explanation :-) )
    Example: i search for "gis" but he fiends also record who's contains "belgis ch"

My question: How do I do that? That I only find the exact word

Thx

(I have tried [](){} no result)
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 3:45 PM

Answers

• I believe there is no way to search that way that you are looking for using advanced find because the contains will always look for that anywhere in the text and it will not allow you to pass in spaces before and after the text.  The UI strips them out when passing to the actual query.

One option which is not perfect is to also include does not contain for some of the words that your search criteria falls into. 

Example is you say contains "gis" and doesn tno contain "belgis"  the problem with that is if it has bothyou do not see it because of the does nto contain.  

Only route to get the exact list you are looking for is write your own custom page to query the data directly without using advanced find.  

You would have to check if you can even use the API's to do this query. The API's might clear out the spaces you need and not allow you to get ones that either start or end with what you are looking for.  You might have to go directly to SQL to do this query.

Later
       Hoss  
    "If it ain't broke, Modify It! If it is broke, Time to upgrade!"
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, October 8, 2009 2:55 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 5:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Palmke,

One idea is to use a search criteria like:
       contact.text is equal to "gis "
       OR
       contact.text is equal to " gis"
       OR
       contact.test is equal to " gis "

Let me know if this works.
    Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Hi,

with advanced search you can't search to the exact word. You can use a Report to show the Data you want and search in the report for the exact word.
    Viele Grüße

Michael Sulz
    axcentro GmbH
    MVP für Microsoft Dynamics CRM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 5:14 PM
  • I believe there is no way to search that way that you are looking for using advanced find because the contains will always look for that anywhere in the text and it will not allow you to pass in spaces before and after the text.  The UI strips them out when passing to the actual query.

One option which is not perfect is to also include does not contain for some of the words that your search criteria falls into. 

Example is you say contains "gis" and doesn tno contain "belgis"  the problem with that is if it has bothyou do not see it because of the does nto contain.  

Only route to get the exact list you are looking for is write your own custom page to query the data directly without using advanced find.  

You would have to check if you can even use the API's to do this query. The API's might clear out the spaces you need and not allow you to get ones that either start or end with what you are looking for.  You might have to go directly to SQL to do this query.

Later
       Hoss  
    "If it ain't broke, Modify It! If it is broke, Time to upgrade!"
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, October 8, 2009 2:55 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 5:21 PM