License for using Media Foundation H.264 video decoder RRS feed

• Question

• I am a software developer. We are developing a PC application that can be used to decode H.264 video from legal video source providers. The technology we currently utilized is Microsoft Media Foundation, specifically the Media Foundation H.264 decoder

We as a software developer using Microsoft Media Foundation do not need to pay the license fee for the H.264 decoder. We can legally distribute it to Windows end users, and end users can legally use our application for personal and non-commercial use.

Is it correct? Any legal concern using Media Foundation H.264 decoder?

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 8:06 AM

All replies

• No, I checked the license and nowhere in there have granted you redistribution right, and since there is "NO LICENSE IS GRANTED OR SHALL BE IMPLIED FOR ANY OTHER USE." clause, it explicitly said you cannot redistribute it unless you obtain other license from the owner.

If your software is installed on a system that already have it, you can choose to use the decoder to decode the video, as long as it's "personal and non-commercial use, or the video provider had properly licensed it".

• Edited by cheong00 Tuesday, April 7, 2020 9:29 AM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2020 9:26 AM
  • Hi erik.shen,

Thank you for posting here.

I have moved the thread to where is the forum for? forum to help you find the correct forum to go ask questions.

he CLR Forum discuss and ask questions about .NET Framework Base Classes (BCL) such as Collections, I/O, Regigistry, Globalization, Reflection. Also discuss all the other Microsoft libraries that are built on or extend the .NET Framework, including Managed Extensibility Framework (MEF), Charting Controls, CardSpace, Windows Identity Foundation (WIF), Point of Sale (POS), Transactions.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 9, 2020 5:47 AM