Re: ACTIVATION PROBLEMS... RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased a newer copy of OneCare to replace my subscription.  I got it on sale at Best Buy, so I uninstalled the previous one and installed the new one.  It still says, upon installation, I have to renew and takes me to billing.  I should not have to do this.  I have a valid product key but no option is given.  If I can get the product on sale versus ponying up $50 online, that's MY choice.  How can I renew my activation??

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:44 PM

Answers

•  griffy97 wrote:

I just purchased a newer copy of OneCare to replace my subscription.  I got it on sale at Best Buy, so I uninstalled the previous one and installed the new one.  It still says, upon installation, I have to renew and takes me to billing.  I should not have to do this.  I have a valid product key but no option is given.  If I can get the product on sale versus ponying up $50 online, that's MY choice.  How can I renew my activation??

You did not need to uninstall/reinstall. You simply needed to renew with the retail key.

Now that you reinstalled, by activating with the same LiveID, the new install inherited the subscription status of the existing subscription and you were not prompted for payment or a retail PIN/Key.

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare.

-steve

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:08 PM

All replies

•  

On the billing site, sign in with the same Windows Live ID that you used when originally activating OneCare, and you will see that OneCare shows up as a billing option near the bottom of the page after signing in.

If you click on that OneCare option, you should see a link for Renew, where you can enter your new product key.

I hope this helps.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:59 PM
  •  griffy97 wrote:

I just purchased a newer copy of OneCare to replace my subscription.  I got it on sale at Best Buy, so I uninstalled the previous one and installed the new one.  It still says, upon installation, I have to renew and takes me to billing.  I should not have to do this.  I have a valid product key but no option is given.  If I can get the product on sale versus ponying up $50 online, that's MY choice.  How can I renew my activation??

You did not need to uninstall/reinstall. You simply needed to renew with the retail key.

Now that you reinstalled, by activating with the same LiveID, the new install inherited the subscription status of the existing subscription and you were not prompted for payment or a retail PIN/Key.

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare.

-steve

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:08 PM
  • I am having the same problem. What is the answer to entering the store bought product code?  One Care dosen't give you a choice.  HELP!!!!

Thursday, June 26, 2008 12:21 PM
  • Paul, please read the post directly above yours. If you reinstalled OneCare with a new CD, but activated with the same LiveID you have not renewed yet. The post above yours tells you how to do this with a retail key at the Billing site.

-steve

Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:02 PM
  • I finially talked to someone from One Care after 5 hours on the phone and 4 different numbers to call.  To find out that someone else has used my product key and the product key has expired.  This is a great way for Mircosoft to do business, no wonder their profits are so good.  If I want to use One Care I have to pony up with another $49.99, I wish I could do business this way it is great for them and screw the customer.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:40 PM
  • Paul, return the retail copy to the store and exchange it for another copy if your retail key, according to support has been used. Keys don't expire. Keys cannot be used twice, though.

When did you purchase this copy of OneCare and what, exactly, is the message when you try to renew using the key?

-steve

Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:55 PM
  • Hello,

I too have bought a PRODUCT KEY from a store to renew my subscription which has expired... and I dont find any other options than using a CREDIT CARD: I cant find any RENEW link... and I am asked to pay 67.15$... Sad

Thanks in advance for any help...

Friday, June 27, 2008 5:50 PM
  •  

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare if you are renewing within 30 days of expiration and 5 days if renewal was performed between 90 and 30 days before expiration.

-steve

Friday, June 27, 2008 6:59 PM
  • I still can NOT FIND any option to RENEW with a PREPAID PIN...

Saturday, June 28, 2008 6:54 AM
  • Sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with your subscription LiveID. Select OneCare. Select renew. Choose the option to renew with a retail key, pin or token.

-steve

Monday, June 30, 2008 1:49 PM