Having so many fields for an entity RRS feed

Answers

• The best way for the entities which has a lot of fields is to handle them with 1:N relationships. To do this, create a new entity which has 1:N relationship which the current entity. The newly created entity may have one or two fields. But the advantage of this solutions is that, if the number of the fields changes, then no need to customize the fields or the form. Easily could remove or add new record to show a new relationship. The other advantage is the user's comfort. There is no need to scroll or search on a form with 500 fields. I have done this solution for an entity with 200 fields and handled the fields with this kind of relationship. It also has lots of advantages on creating reports and interpreting data. Hope this helps you.

If the answer helped you, remember to mark it as answer.

• Marked as answer by dora_san Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:32 AM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Taichi Sato,

We have done this in On Premise Environment.

And we didn't face any problem.

Thanks

Prem

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:16 AM
  • Do you intend to control the fields visible on the form to the user through role-based forms or even show/hide sections/tabs? 500 fields would be a lot of data for a user to enter on a form.

It might help to split the data into multiple entities just for better user experience if not for anything else.

Sam

Dynamics CRM MVP | Inogic | http://inogic.blogspot.com| news at inogic dot com

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:22 AM
  • The best way for the entities which has a lot of fields is to handle them with 1:N relationships. To do this, create a new entity which has 1:N relationship which the current entity. The newly created entity may have one or two fields. But the advantage of this solutions is that, if the number of the fields changes, then no need to customize the fields or the form. Easily could remove or add new record to show a new relationship. The other advantage is the user's comfort. There is no need to scroll or search on a form with 500 fields. I have done this solution for an entity with 200 fields and handled the fields with this kind of relationship. It also has lots of advantages on creating reports and interpreting data. Hope this helps you.

• Marked as answer by dora_san Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:32 AM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:41 AM
  • Thank you.

Most of fields are read-only and data is imported by the administrator.

You might be right.  I decided to think about splitting the data seriously.

Taichi,Sato

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:19 AM
  • As an example about the entity I talked about, we have a "Customer Technical Profile" entity which has lots of data about DB, OS, Current product, ...! With this architecture we succeed to handle all of these fields through a relation. I definitely suggest you not to use an entity with 500 fields!

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:26 AM
  • Let me make myself clear about the idea...

Is the newly entity like the header of branched entities? 

Taichi,Sato

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:27 AM
  • Yes! It looks like a header which branches the fields as an entity with 1:N relationship.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:30 AM
  • Sounds like the best idea to handle this problem :)

Taichi,Sato

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:32 AM
  • its not prob vth the 500 fields in the u can create upto 1000 fields

if it exceeds 1000 fields then it start create prob to you.

or

you can use subgrids in the form

ms crm

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:46 AM
  • Hi

There is a field limit for Sq l server 2008 r2 is 1024 columns for a table. 

you can create up to 1024 fields(Include system fields), but remember that along with currency field, once base field will create, that means 2 number is count for 1 currency field. to avoid the max fields problem maintain sub grids in forms. 

Thanks in Advance Siva

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:16 AM