Converting Microsoft Money from Vista to Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Am trying to restore my Microsoft Money file from my laptop (Vista) to my desktop (Windows 7).  Windows 7 will allow me to install my 2005 version..but then cannot locate my file on flash drive to restore..wrong file name?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

bikerchick1210

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 8:11 PM

All replies

• And you know that the file is on the flash drive? And if it's a .MBF, you are trying File|Restore? And if it's a .MNY file you are just trying to drag it to the local hard disk and then just File|Opening (NOT File|Restore) or double clicking on it? And, it this is M05, have you opened the Sample data file and done an Internet Update before trying to read your data file? (This is a MUST step after reinstallation of M05.)

AND ATTENTION ALL M05 USERS: You DESPERATELY need to take steps, AND VERY SOON, to protect yourself against the day that these Internet Updates (that ENABLE a new install of M05 to actually OPEN your "M05" file) ARE DISAPPEARED FOREVER by Microsoft. Read more threads or read in the old Usenet group or ask for details. The WORD is out there. See http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx for one source.

Please, all M05 users, HEED THIS ADVICE.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 4:19 AM
  • Yes..the file is on the flash drive. I tried to paste and copy the file from USB to hard drive..it's there also.  Message - "Cannot locate or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk is write protected."  I have also tried to open the .mny file on USB directly and it takes me to the same message.  I did not have this problem when transferring my money data from my old desktop to my laptop in 12/08. Is it something with Windows 7?
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:37 PM
  • Many of us use Win7 and Money with no similar issues. If it's a Win7 issue, it's unique to your environment or use.

OK. Let's try some specifics:

1) The file you copied from USB to your hard drive: is it set (r-click Properties) to be Read Only or not?

2) The file you copied from USB to your hard drive: is it a Money backup file (.mbf) or a Money data file (.mny)?

3) Help | About in Money says it is what version? 14.????.???.????

4) Where on your Windows 7 system did you put the file? Somewhere in Documents?

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:35 PM