WHS Freezes wothout Error Reports RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed WHS on an HP ProLiant ML115 with an AMD Quad 2.1 GHz and 1 Gb RAM.  The software is completely updated with all latest SPs and fixes.

At seemingly random intervals, the system freezes with screen output still live but no movement on mouse or output from keyboard.  The system shows nothing except an unexpected shutdown error which I assume is related to the physical hard retart that I have to do to get any further response.  When rebooted, the system retrunrs to normal operation. 

I have disconnected the data leads of 3 of the four 750Gb drives, leaving only the main drive with the system partition and resudual data partition connected (confirmed in the WHS console).

I have run the off-line HP diagnostices system check on a 10 loop cycle and no errors are indicated.

It seems that the error does not allow any log data capture.

Any clues, advice, ideas or processes I can implement to try to track this down?

Many thanks in advance

Friday, June 26, 2009 7:03 PM

Answers

• Problem solved.

The fault was the nVidia SATA drivers provided with the HP server.  These produced a BSOD error when installed but this was not repeated under normal use so cover its tracks well!

Re-installation without this driver (using generic version) did npt produce BSOD and stopped freezing issue.

Hope this may help someone in similar situation
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 2:50 PM