off topic - computer keeps freezingup RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

HELP........my computer keeps freezing up, I could be in the middle of something and bang, it freezes up,  I tried Ctrl/Alt+Del, but it doesn't work........I'm currently using Windows XP
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 7:32 PM

All replies

• You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare. You may want to try the Microsoft Public newsgroups here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 2:56 AM
  • Hi.  I too, have windows XP and use Windows Live One Care to keep my computer safe, but just lately it started to freeze up for no apparent reason.  Also, in the spring, I added more DDR to my system, and for awhile, it stopped the "racing noise" on the computer that I was told was caused by Windows Live One Care using up my system resources, but lately it has been "racing" constantly.  What can the problems be? 
    O, I clicked on the link  you provided for the last person and that is sorta kinda confusing.  Is there a better link  to try?
    TKS!!  Any help you can provide will be gratly appreciated.  Have a grr888 day!
    jt
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:17 PM
  •  jantogo wrote:
    Hi.  I too, have windows XP and use Windows Live One Care to keep my computer safe, but just lately it started to freeze up for no apparent reason.  Also, in the spring, I added more DDR to my system, and for awhile, it stopped the "racing noise" on the computer that I was told was caused by Windows Live One Care using up my system resources, but lately it has been "racing" constantly.  What can the problems be? 
    O, I clicked on the link  you provided for the last person and that is sorta kinda confusing.  Is there a better link  to try?
    TKS!!  Any help you can provide will be gratly appreciated.  Have a grr888 day!
    jt

Hello, JT.

It sounds like you need to have the PC looked at. If the fans are running fast, that would indicate a heat problem. The heat problem can be due to dust build-up on the vents or an overactive processor. The processor may be overactive because the system is being worked hard by conflicting programs. This can also cause lockups and crashes. If your problem was just random lockups and it started after adding the memory, I'd suspect a bad stick of RAM, but the racing fan seems to rule that out. Note that adding memory would certainly help with system resources for all programs and I would not have pinned the system resource issue on OneCare as most people report that OneCare uses less resources than many competing protection products.

The link I provided is for the public newsgroups listing. I don't know that I'd recommend that you go there. You can try OneCare support, but I think the best place to start would be a local computer shop to have the hardware checked out.

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:06 PM