check my hardware and installation plan RRS feed

• Question

• Well, I was going to install trial version, but looks like that's a really bad idea!

Plan on using an unused P4 computer, that right now has 40 & 80G IDE drives, figure I'll ditch the 40 and use the 80 for the OS.

Wanted to take a 1T SATA shared drive out of my primary desktop and put it into the P4 Home Server machine, but have a data issue, no place to put the data.  May be stuck buying another drive to temporarily move the data so I can install the 1T into the server. 

After I move the data, can I add the temp drive into the server after the fact?
    Can I mix IDE and SATA internal with the server?  I don't presently own a SATA card, and the MB is IDE only.  Is one card as good as the next?

I have two plans for the server, one the obvious file backup, the 2nd to feed my wireless media player.  Does Home Server come with software to feed my D-Link player, or will it run the D-Link software?
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:26 AM

Answers

• A little bit of searching here in the forums, and some time reading the documentation available here, will probably answer many of your questions. But to get you started:

"Unused P4": I would not personally recommend using an old computer that you happen to have lying around as your production server. You will be placing important family documents, media, etc, on the server, and older hardware may not be as robust as you would like.

Disks: You can install on a single disk if you like, and then add more later. So if you buy a temporary disk for data transfer purposes, you could add it in after transferring the contents to your server. YOu can mix IDE and SATA in the server; I would recommend if you decide you want to have both that you test the server reinstallation scenario (which you would use in case of system drive failure or OS corruption) with both types of drives attached, so you will be familiar with the process.

Media player: Windows Home Server has Windows Media Connect version 2.0 built in. This will stream some types of media to devices capable of consuming WMC streaming. (The media type would need to be supported on both ends.) But just about every Digital Media Receiver is able to read from network shares, so if you have many media files in formats that WMC doesn't understand, and therefore won't stream, you should be able to use your DMR to play them (assuming it supports them).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by part deux Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:50 AM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:27 PM

All replies

• A little bit of searching here in the forums, and some time reading the documentation available here, will probably answer many of your questions. But to get you started:

"Unused P4": I would not personally recommend using an old computer that you happen to have lying around as your production server. You will be placing important family documents, media, etc, on the server, and older hardware may not be as robust as you would like.

Disks: You can install on a single disk if you like, and then add more later. So if you buy a temporary disk for data transfer purposes, you could add it in after transferring the contents to your server. YOu can mix IDE and SATA in the server; I would recommend if you decide you want to have both that you test the server reinstallation scenario (which you would use in case of system drive failure or OS corruption) with both types of drives attached, so you will be familiar with the process.

Media player: Windows Home Server has Windows Media Connect version 2.0 built in. This will stream some types of media to devices capable of consuming WMC streaming. (The media type would need to be supported on both ends.) But just about every Digital Media Receiver is able to read from network shares, so if you have many media files in formats that WMC doesn't understand, and therefore won't stream, you should be able to use your DMR to play them (assuming it supports them).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by part deux Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:50 AM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:27 PM
  • Thank you for the reply.

I like the reinstall idea, that's great.  The only old drive would be the 80G the system would be loaded on.  I'm sure the white papers have wonderful information in them, but my older version of word won't open the docx files.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:54 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.

I like the reinstall idea, that's great.  The only old drive would be the 80G the system would be loaded on.  I'm sure the white papers have wonderful information in them, but my older version of word won't open the docx files.

Nothing the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack won't cure. :)
    Friday, June 5, 2009 3:30 AM