SharePoint Server Software Update Service install error 'could not access network location' RRS feed

• Question

•  

This should be simplier than it's turning out to be.

Issue:  I'm attempting to configure the OCS Software Update Service and I'm having issues with installing the SharePoint Server Software Update Service Component (OCSSoftwareUpdateServiceSPSharePoint.msi).  As soon as I attempt to install, it pops up a error msgbox stating "Could not access network location..."   I have no clue what this is actually attempting to access. 

Any ideas?  Sharepoint is being installed on a x64 bit machine..  2003 SVR R2.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 8:18 AM

All replies

• Same problem here.  I have a hunch it has something to do with the 64-bit OS, but that's just a guess based on all of the other issues I've experienced. with .net, asp, etc. with 64-bit windows server.  My impression of 64-bit server so far has not been positive.  Not by a long shot.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 11:45 PM
  • Update: indeed it is a problem with x64 bit Windows.  You can't run x32 bit WSS (Windows Sharepoint Services) 3.0 on a x64 bit OS, and OCS Software Update Service can't install if using x64 bit WSS.  So the answer is, install x32 bit WSS 3.0 on a server with x32 bit Windows Server 2003.

It surprises me that with the Exchange push to x64 bit, OCS is so behind the times in requiring x32 bit Windows for functions like this.  There's also no single location for finding information on what functions are supported on what os, version, etc.  Time to dedicate a blog to this I suppose.  Best of luck.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:02 PM