System Drive Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased a HP MediaSmart Server. All my 'regular' computers have a system partition/HD and my data is on other partitions/HDs. After installing my standard programs I make a ghost image of the system partition. Then whenever I need to renew the system I just apply the ghost image.

Now the HP is completely different. I see only one partition. Does that mean both the OS and data are in the same partitions? Then what happens if I need to reinstall the OS?

I very much would prefer a way where I do not have to do a manual re-install (which can take easily 1h or more) but instead could re-image the OS. The later I can just start, walk away and soon after it's done. How can I accomplish this for Home Server.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:37 AM

Answers

• hfaun said:

I just purchased a HP MediaSmart Server. All my 'regular' computers have a system partition/HD and my data is on other partitions/HDs. After installing my standard programs I make a ghost image of the system partition. Then whenever I need to renew the system I just apply the ghost image.

Now the HP is completely different. I see only one partition. Does that mean both the OS and data are in the same partitions?

No.  The primary drive on the server is split into 2 partitions.  The C partition is for the OS and the D partition is for data.  (Also, logging into the server desktop for any reason is unsupported.)

hfaun said:

Then what happens if I need to reinstall the OS?

You would have to put the HP WHS Recovery DVD (not sure if that is what it's called) into a client PC and run a Server Recovery (to keep existing data) or a Factory Reset (to wipe everything).  Please read the documentation you received with your HP MSS for details.

hfaun said:

I very much would prefer a way where I do not have to do a manual re-install (which can take easily 1h or more) but instead could re-image the OS. The later I can just start, walk away and soon after it's done. How can I accomplish this for Home Server.

Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by Olaf EngelkeModerator Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by hfaun Wednesday, November 26, 2008 4:12 PM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:58 AM
  • If you removed the system drive to image it before setting up your MediaSmart Server, then yes, there is only a single 20 GB partition on the system drive. The beginning state of the server is "baked in" to this partition.

Please note that the use of partition imaging tools as a way of backing up the system partition on your server is unsupported, and may result in severe problems should you later restore that partition (because of the way that Windows Home Server uses the various drives and partitions in the server). The only supported way to "renew" your server after a problem that would lead (on another PC) to refreshing the system image is a "server recovery." This is a special installation mode which runs across the network and reloads your system partition.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 12:25 PM

All replies

• hfaun said:

I just purchased a HP MediaSmart Server. All my 'regular' computers have a system partition/HD and my data is on other partitions/HDs. After installing my standard programs I make a ghost image of the system partition. Then whenever I need to renew the system I just apply the ghost image.

Now the HP is completely different. I see only one partition. Does that mean both the OS and data are in the same partitions?

No.  The primary drive on the server is split into 2 partitions.  The C partition is for the OS and the D partition is for data.  (Also, logging into the server desktop for any reason is unsupported.)

hfaun said:

Then what happens if I need to reinstall the OS?

You would have to put the HP WHS Recovery DVD (not sure if that is what it's called) into a client PC and run a Server Recovery (to keep existing data) or a Factory Reset (to wipe everything).  Please read the documentation you received with your HP MSS for details.

hfaun said:

Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by Olaf EngelkeModerator Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:11 AM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:58 AM
  • If you removed the system drive to image it before setting up your MediaSmart Server, then yes, there is only a single 20 GB partition on the system drive. The beginning state of the server is "baked in" to this partition.

Please note that the use of partition imaging tools as a way of backing up the system partition on your server is unsupported, and may result in severe problems should you later restore that partition (because of the way that Windows Home Server uses the various drives and partitions in the server). The only supported way to "renew" your server after a problem that would lead (on another PC) to refreshing the system image is a "server recovery." This is a special installation mode which runs across the network and reloads your system partition.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 12:25 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I guess my usual way of working is not the way to go in this case. I just don't like this 'recovery' stuff because usually it always leaves something behind. Instead I like a complete new install and to safe valuable time the preference is with a (ghost) image. Oh well.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 4:11 PM
  • If you prefer a fresh install, then "server reinstallation" is something you should like. :) It preserves all the data in your shares, and your home computer backup database, but it wipes and reloads the system partition. After a server reinstallation you will have to recreate users and reinstall add-ins. If you've customized your server in other ways (installed software other than add-ins, tweaked the operating system, etc. using Remote Desktop or a physical console) then you would also have to reapply those changes. 
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:01 PM