Data Migration to New WHS Hardware RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting ready to upgrade the hardware used for my WHS with PP1 from an old Medion I had laying around to a Dell Dimension Gen 4. My question I believe is simple, currently I have four (4) external Maxtor 1TB hard drives that are about full, that is the reason for the upgrade. I am going to install four 1.5TB Seagates in the Dell then want to attach my four Maxtor externals. Is there a way to make the upgrade without losing and having to reload all of the data on the four external Maxtors. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

One thought I had is to do a backup of the Medion using a non-pooled external drive and then restoring the backup on the Dell once I have it all ready, however I am not sure that would work, when I installed the external Maxtors would WHS see the shares and data?????
    Friday, October 24, 2008 8:07 AM

Answers

• Dear MVP's:

Well I learned what the problem was. This is the second WHS I have built and I had about 3.5TB of data on four (4) 1TB external hard drives. Following Ken's instructions above I setup my new WHS, all ready to go. I then plugged in one external 1TB hard drive, did not add it to the pool, and began transferring folders (files) over using explorer on WHS which is much quicker than over the network. The problem was all of a sudden I got a "red" house telling me that DATA (D:) was full and sure enough it was.

The solution is, I had to go to one of my other computers and set up WHS Connector and start sharing folders with the other computer. As soon as I did that Data (D:) started distributing the folders among the other three (3) 1.5TB internal drives. In summary unless you set up shares DATA (D:) will hold the folders and not distribute them.

I hope this helps anyone else that ever goes to upgrade their WHS.
    • Marked as answer by kaisat Sunday, November 2, 2008 5:16 PM
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 5:16 PM

All replies

• Hmm..  if you use the correct drivers and such, you might be able to do a server reinstallation.  Do you plan on keeping the USB drives for the new system?  I am assuming you are that's why you don't want to have to take the data off of them.  If you don't get the reinstallation option, you would have to manually copy all the data off the drives to the new WHS server before adding them to the storage pool.  
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Friday, October 24, 2008 9:09 AM
  • I would say the easiest approach is going to be to simply install Windows Home Server on the new hardware and then copy your files off the external drives. Don't bother with a server reinstallation; I suspect it will take longer to rebuild the tombstones from 4 GB of external drives than it will take to just copy all those files to the new server. To do this:

• Install (this is a new installaiton, not a reinstallation) on the new hardware, with all the new drives connected but none of the external drives.
    • Connect one of the external drives. It will appear in the console as a drive that's not part of the storage pool. Leave it that way.
    • Log on to your server using a physical console, or Remote Desktop.
    • Copy from the connected drive to your server shares (there's a shortcut on the Administrator's desktop). On the connected drive, your files are in <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc. Note that the DE folder is a hidden folder.
    Repeat this for each drive.

Doing it this way you will lose your backups. If this is a major issue for you, you will have to try what Enchanter suggested: a server reinstallation on the new hardware. You would do this by taking all the drives out of the old server, and connecting them to the new server (making sure the old system drive will be seen as the first drive on the new hardware). Don't install any of the 1.5 GB drives at this time. Now boot from the WHS installation media. At the point where hardware discovery is going on, make sure all your drives are present. If they are, when you're asked what type of installation you want to perform, you should be given the option to perform a server reinstallation.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 24, 2008 4:59 PM
  • kaisat said:

I am getting ready to upgrade the hardware used for my WHS with PP1 from an old Medion I had laying around to a Dell Dimension Gen 4. My question I believe is simple, currently I have four (4) external Maxtor 1TB hard drives that are about full, that is the reason for the upgrade. I am going to install four 1.5TB Seagates in the Dell then want to attach my four Maxtor externals. Is there a way to make the upgrade without losing and having to reload all of the data on the four external Maxtors. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

One thought I had is to do a backup of the Medion using a non-pooled external drive and then restoring the backup on the Dell once I have it all ready, however I am not sure that would work, when I installed the external Maxtors would WHS see the shares and data?????

Also, in addition to what Ken and Enchanter said, your OEM license is tied to your motherboard.  You are not allowed to move your OEM license to a new mobo (which is what you are doing).  You are supposed to purchase another license for new hardware.  You will need to call MS to activate your copy a second time and it is within their right to deny you activation again.  Having said that, other users in this forum have been able to activate again when in your situation.
    Friday, October 24, 2008 10:02 PM
  • Dear Ken:

I am not sure I follow your directions 100% but since I started as a beta tester you have been an an undying sole to help any of us not as knowledgeable as you. I am not sure how many people have said thank you but I am surely one of those that without your superb dedication would be much more lost. Many thanks and kudos, you are appreciated even by those of us that don't know you!!!!!!
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 2:38 AM
  • Okay, a different way to describe what I was suggesting, then:

• You have brand new hardware. Hook it all up, burn it in, then install Windows Home Server. This is a new installation.
    • Shut down your old home server.
    • Disconnect one of the drives from your old home server and connect it to your new home server. (Or to another PC on your network, but that's slower.)
    • If you connected the drive to your home server, log in using locally connected keyboard, video, and mouse,  or Remote Desktop.
    • In Windows Explorer, browse to the folder <driveletter>:\DE\Shares on the drive. DE is a hidden folder; you may have to adjust your view settings to see it.
    • Copy everything under here to your new home server's shares.
    • Repeat for each drive connected to your old home server.
    You should now have all your files. You will not have your old backups.

Saturday, October 25, 2008 1:59 PM
  • I have a similar dilemma. I have an old PC (PIII-800) that I was trying the evaluation version of WHS on. I have since bought the software and I installed it on another computer that I had acquired. (Dell Poweredge 2600) Seeing that the hard drives in the old PC are IDE and the ones in the Dell are SCSI (plus I added a SATA card and two 750GB drive) I can not do the drive swap like you had suggested. I have copied the Shared Folder contents over my network from the old box to the new, but what I am concerned about now it the backups. One of the computers that the old WHS was backing up was my parents' computer, located 120 miles away. When I first set it up, my parents' brought their PC to my place during a visit and I hooked it up to my network, setup the connector software and backed up. They then took it home and it has been backing up ever since via Hamachi.

Now that I am shutting down the old server, I don't want to try and pull a complete backup over the net from their PC, so I would like to migrate the Back Up files to the new WHS. Can this be done? I have searched for info, but I don't think I am wording my search right, as I keep getting stuff on actually backing up the WHS itself.
    Thanks,
    Ted
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 11:54 PM
  • Ted V said:

I have a similar dilemma. I have an old PC (PIII-800) that I was trying the evaluation version of WHS on. I have since bought the software and I installed it on another computer that I had acquired. (Dell Poweredge 2600) Seeing that the hard drives in the old PC are IDE and the ones in the Dell are SCSI (plus I added a SATA card and two 750GB drive) I can not do the drive swap like you had suggested. I have copied the Shared Folder contents over my network from the old box to the new, but what I am concerned about now it the backups. One of the computers that the old WHS was backing up was my parents' computer, located 120 miles away. When I first set it up, my parents' brought their PC to my place during a visit and I hooked it up to my network, setup the connector software and backed up. They then took it home and it has been backing up ever since via Hamachi.

Now that I am shutting down the old server, I don't want to try and pull a complete backup over the net from their PC, so I would like to migrate the Back Up files to the new WHS. Can this be done? I have searched for info, but I don't think I am wording my search right, as I keep getting stuff on actually backing up the WHS itself.
    Thanks,
    Ted

You should be able to do that by following the backup and restore steps of the backup database in the Windows Home Server Technical Brief for Home Computer Backup and Restore.  Or you could try a beta version of an add-in that does the same thing.  You can get more details about that here.
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 12:19 AM
  • Dear Ken:

Well it is finally built after many challenges i.e. some bios settings on my Dell XPS Gen 4 needed changed for WHS to reboot to hard drive and to finish installing. The new WHS setup has four (4) 1.5TB Seagate drives installed and added to the pool for total internal storage of 5589GB.

Ken, or others, the problem now is that I am following Ken's instructions from above and WHS gave me a red warning stating that "Not Enough Free Space on Some Drives". The drives breakout as follows:

Capacity        Free Space        % Free

1. SYS (C:)          20GB             14.57GB             72%
    2. DATA (D:)        1377.25GB    440MB                0%
    3. DATA               1397.25GB    1056.85GB         75%
    4. DATA               1397.25GB    1195.93GB         85%
    5. DATA               1397.25GB    1196.11GB         85%

My question is how do I get WHS to distribute some of the files that are sitting on Data (D:) as I cannot load the remainder of my four external 1TB drives as Data (D:) is too full?

Sunday, November 2, 2008 2:58 PM
  • kaisat said:

Dear Ken:

Well it is finally built after many challenges i.e. some bios settings on my Dell XPS Gen 4 needed changed for WHS to reboot to hard drive and to finish installing. The new WHS setup has four (4) 1.5TB Seagate drives installed and added to the pool for total internal storage of 5589GB.

Ken, or others, the problem now is that I am following Ken's instructions from above and WHS gave me a red warning stating that "Not Enough Free Space on Some Drives". The drives breakout as follows:

Capacity        Free Space        % Free

1. SYS (C:)          20GB             14.57GB             72%
    2. DATA (D:)        1377.25GB    440MB                0%
    3. DATA               1397.25GB    1056.85GB         75%
    4. DATA               1397.25GB    1195.93GB         85%
    5. DATA               1397.25GB    1196.11GB         85%

My question is how do I get WHS to distribute some of the files that are sitting on Data (D:) as I cannot load the remainder of my four external 1TB drives as Data (D:) is too full?

There is an app created by a user that will move the data from the D drive.  It's called LZreallocator.  It was created by another WHS user (Theo van Elsberg).  Using it unsupported, however other people have used it and it worked for them.

However, I am concerned that there is something wrong with your server as normally the D partition is used last.  Exactly what did you do to add the data to the server?  Did you copy data to the server when there was only one drive, then add the other drives when you were out of space?  Did you logon to the server to move the files from the external drives to the server?  If so, what path did you use to move the files?  Please provide as many details as possible as to what you did (starting from the re-installation).
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 3:43 PM
  • Dear MVP's:

Well I learned what the problem was. This is the second WHS I have built and I had about 3.5TB of data on four (4) 1TB external hard drives. Following Ken's instructions above I setup my new WHS, all ready to go. I then plugged in one external 1TB hard drive, did not add it to the pool, and began transferring folders (files) over using explorer on WHS which is much quicker than over the network. The problem was all of a sudden I got a "red" house telling me that DATA (D:) was full and sure enough it was.

The solution is, I had to go to one of my other computers and set up WHS Connector and start sharing folders with the other computer. As soon as I did that Data (D:) started distributing the folders among the other three (3) 1.5TB internal drives. In summary unless you set up shares DATA (D:) will hold the folders and not distribute them.

• Marked as answer by kaisat Sunday, November 2, 2008 5:16 PM
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 5:16 PM
  • kaisat said:

Dear MVP's:

You said you used explorer.  What path did you use for the destination of the files?  Also, what component numbers do you show (Settings button, Resources tab)?

kaisat said:

Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:06 PM
  • Dear Kariya21:

I used Windows Explorer on WHS (headed with keyboard and mouse) to DATA (D:) folder "shares" Component Numbers are 6.0.1800.0 from Resources tab.
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:31 PM
  • kaisat said:

Dear Kariya21:

I used Windows Explorer on WHS (headed with keyboard and mouse) to DATA (D:) folder "shares" Component Numbers are 6.0.1800.0 from Resources tab.

FYI, copying to D:\shares is unsupported and has caused people numerous problems in the past (although it was usually before Power Pack 1 was installed).  I would strongly recommend you use the UNC path (\\server\sharename) from now on (and hopefully you have no problems in the future with those files you copied by using D:\shares).
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:35 PM
  • Dear Kariya21:

I will be interested in what Ken Warren's comments are as he is a very smart MVP and his directions above state to copy it to the "shares" folder.
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:55 PM
  • As mentioned above, using the D:\Shares is totally unsupported and has lead at times, to files not being recognised by the internal mechanisms of WHS.
    As a 'normal' user should never see the 'D:\Shares' option, the accepted method is to use UNC paths or to use the Shared Folders directly.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 7:06 PM
  • kaisat said:

Dear Kariya21:

I will be interested in what Ken Warren's comments are as he is a very smart MVP and his directions above state to copy it to the "shares" folder.

Yes, Ken is definitely "the man" around here.  :)  However, he did not say to copy it to the "shares" folder.  He said:

Ken Warren said:

Copy from the connected drive to your server shares (there's a shortcut on the Administrator's desktop).

And:

Ken Warren said:

Copy everything under here to your new home server's shares.

The key in those posts is the reference to the shortcut on the Administrator's desktop (which I guarantee you didn't use if you copied to D:\shares).  Trust me when I tell you he will tell you the exact same thing I am telling you right now.

Sunday, November 2, 2008 7:07 PM
  • Kaisat, I agree with kariya21. I said specifically to go through the shortcut on the administrator's desktop. That's a link to \\localhost, which will allow you to access your server's shares as shares. There are a variety of reasons not to go through D:\Shares\etc., the most important of which is that Microsoft says you shouldn't rely on that functionality, that it's an unsupported way to access files and shares on your server. That also goes for using the administrative share on your server to access the Shares folder, and it goes for creating a share manually which connects to the Shares folder directly.

Monday, November 3, 2008 4:03 PM
  • Dear Ken and Kariya21:

Many thanks for your comments and guidance!!!!!!

Folks, I am stumped, I have obviously repopulated my WHS incorrectly. The problem I have is that it took almost three days to repopulate WHS this weekend and I now have 9,315GB of storage available and 3,097GB utilized. I have connected and shared three clients so far with two more to go yet. All connect with no problem, backup nightly, can see and utilize everything that is shared. Because I did not add the four external 1TB Maxtor's to the pool until I had transferred the data from them to the new WHS my drive configuration currently looks as follows. My question is do I need to wipe WHS clean and reinstall all of the data in a different manner, in other words am I awaiting a sure loss here? If the answer is yes I "must" do this, Ken where did I go wrong and where do I find the "administrator's desktop" can you give more explicit instructions. I currently have three add-ins WHS Disk Managment, Diskeeper WHS 2008, and WHS Toolkit. I have connected remotely to the system, it is a Dell XPS Gen 4 with a 3.6GHz processor and 4GB of RAM and it screams versus my first home built WHS. As previously stated until I shared the folders that I copied from the external hard drives to Data (D:) "shares" they simply resided on Data (D:), once shared as you can see WHS distributed them out to my other three internal 1.5TB Seagate hard drives.

SYS (C:)                           20.00GB        14.50GB        72%
    DATA (D:)                         1377.25GB    1347.41GB    97%
    Data  1TB External           931.50GB        931.08GB    99%  
    Data  1.5TB Internal        1397.25GB       382.00GB    27%   
    Data  1.5TB Internal        1397.25GB       381.32GB    27%   
    Data  1.5TB Internal        1397.25GB       377.91GB    27%              
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 9:08 AM
  • I don't see anything wrong. All your data is on the internal drives; why would you expect anything different, since you didn't connect any of the external drives until after you'd copied all the data onto your server?
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 5:27 PM
  • kaisat said:

Dear Ken and Kariya21:

Many thanks for your comments and guidance!!!!!!

Folks, I am stumped, I have obviously repopulated my WHS incorrectly. The problem I have is that it took almost three days to repopulate WHS this weekend and I now have 9,315GB of storage available and 3,097GB utilized. I have connected and shared three clients so far with two more to go yet. All connect with no problem, backup nightly, can see and utilize everything that is shared. Because I did not add the four external 1TB Maxtor's to the pool until I had transferred the data from them to the new WHS my drive configuration currently looks as follows. My question is do I need to wipe WHS clean and reinstall all of the data in a different manner, in other words am I awaiting a sure loss here? If the answer is yes I "must" do this, Ken where did I go wrong and where do I find the "administrator's desktop" can you give more explicit instructions. I currently have three add-ins WHS Disk Managment, Diskeeper WHS 2008, and WHS Toolkit. I have connected remotely to the system, it is a Dell XPS Gen 4 with a 3.6GHz processor and 4GB of RAM and it screams versus my first home built WHS. As previously stated until I shared the folders that I copied from the external hard drives to Data (D:) "shares" they simply resided on Data (D:), once shared as you can see WHS distributed them out to my other three internal 1.5TB Seagate hard drives.

SYS (C:)                           20.00GB        14.50GB        72%
    DATA (D:)                         1377.25GB    1347.41GB    97%
    Data  1.5TB Internal        1397.25GB       382.00GB    27%   
    Data  1.5TB Internal        1397.25GB       381.32GB    27%   
    Data  1.5TB Internal        1397.25GB       377.91GB    27%              

Looks good to me as well.  Are you thinking that WHS is supposed to evenly distribute your files across all drives?  If so, WHS doesn't work like that.  The algorithm used by WHS is basically:

• Use the drive with the least amount of free space first
    • Use the D partition last, and
    • Don't move files from one hard drive to another unless absolutely necessary (i.e. drive removal through the Console)

So, in your case, if you add more data to your server in the above scenario, the data should land on the drive at the bottom of your list (377.91 GB free).

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 9:07 PM