Using Microsoft Money 2004 in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• My XP computer crashed, and I'm in the process of recovering files from that hard drive, including the Microsoft Money 2004 back up file.  My new computer is here, and is running Windows 7.  What is the best way to proceed once I get my MS Money 2004 back up file? would love to keep using the same version if possible.  1) Should I install Money 2004 on Windows 7 and then restore? or 2) Should I download a Sunset file from Microsoft and then restore?  It looks like, since Microsoft 2004 is so old, that those Sunset upgrades might not be able to read my 2004 back up.  Plus, 2004 is not even listed in either of the Sunset downloads (one is Home and Business, the other lists several other versions like Plus, Deluxe, etc.,but nothing is mentioned about the 2004 version) - so I'm not sure which I would download.  Any help you can offer before I start this whole process would be much appreciated!  To make things worse, I'm not sure WHERE my 2004 installation CD is, as I have yet to find it.  I'm afraid it came preinstalled on my Dell that crashed.  Still searching! I live in the U.S.  Thank you!
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 3:18 AM

All replies

• I wouldn't search too hard. Do #2. You will need to install Money Plus Sunset. It can convert as early as Money 2004 directly. You will want to copy your recovered *.mny file and *.mbf file to your Documents folder. Money Plus Deluxe Sunset can open that. Do not try to save backup files within ProgramFiles in Windows 7.

If using some direct OFX downloads from some financial institutions, PocketSense can maybe help with that. If doing web downloads, that will not be needed except maybe for quotes.

Good luck on the file recovery. This will cause you to review your backup policies for Money and other things.

In Money Plus: Tools->Settings->BackupSettings
    I suggest checking
    x Automatically backup my Money file every time I close Money
    Save in [a place on your hard drive ]. It is best to Browse to
    a location rather than typing the path.
    x Ask me before backing up each time*
    x Compress Backup Files
    Keep only the _20_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

x Perform scheduled backups every _28_ days
    Save in [a USB flash drive location]
    x Ask me before backing up each time*
    x Compress Backup Files
    Keep only the _2_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

Then periodically, perhaps each month or three, copy your latest
    backup (uniquely named by Money) to a CDR.

* The reason I have Money ask me, is that I don't want to back up
    each time I exit. If I went into Money 5 times in a day, I would
    not want to back up 5 times, nor would I want to delete 5 other
    backup files. You will be given the choice to BackUpNow or to

Sunday, October 9, 2011 4:46 AM
  • <<<You will want to copy your recovered *.mny file and *.mbf file to your Documents folder. Money Plus Deluxe Sunset can open that. Do not try to save backup files within ProgramFiles in Windows 7.>>>

Thank you for your reply.  You said to copy the *.mny file AND the ".mbf file.  When I have restored before, I only recall seeing one Microsoft Money file stored under Documents.  Are both of these files stored by the MS Money 2004 program under "Documents"?    Also, re: not saving backup files within Program Files in Windows 7 - does that mean I should not have them saved to the "Documents" file?

Thanks again,

Sunday, October 9, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Money allows you to specify where each of the data files is stored.

You want to make sure that your Money and backup files are moved to a spot that you will have full privileges to, such as
    Documents.  If they are within \ProgramFiles or \Windows, Win7 (or Vista) will create an impermanent copy of the file for the user to use, unless the user explicitly right-clicks at launch and choose RunAsAdministrator that time.That is the "virtual store" or "virtualization" if you want to search that out.  See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387 scenario 2. With Money it can get exasperating; you save a change in your file, and then the change is not there when you go to search.

Now you don't have to put your files in Documents. You could put those files in a different drive, or in a separate folder that you create at root level as Administrator but don't have to run as Administrator to access.

Sunday, October 9, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Sorry to but in here (!) but does this mean that I can continue to run Money under Windows 7?

I am contemplating upgrading my ancient PC and thought perhaps that I might have to go down the Quicken route. I'm also running Money 2004 btw, (Ver. 14.0.120.1105) and I'd be quite lost without it!

Any comments welcome - thanks.

Bob (Cardiff, UK)

Monday, November 7, 2011 7:08 PM
  • Bob, you are using Money 2005.

Download the Money 2005 UK installation file via the link on the first post of this forum. Keep a copy in a safe place, such as burn a copy onto a CD that you keep in a safe place. Use the downloaded file to install onto your new Windows 7 installation.

There have been a few instances where 32-bit Windows 7 worked better than 64-bit, but for most things either will work fine.

You only need to copy your existing *.mny file and latest *.mbf file onto your Documents folder onto the new computer from your old computer.  In particular, do not put the data files within the ProgramFiles folder.

Launch Money for the first time on the new computer by
    right-clicking the *.mny file in the new computer, and choosing Open. Once inside Money, go to Tools->Settings->BackupOptions, and set the location for your "backup my Money file every time I close Money" to a place in your Documents folder. The best way to do this is to use the Browse button. Also set the location for your scheduled backup. A USB drive is usually a good place to put your scheduled backup. Remember that drives can fail.

Monday, November 7, 2011 7:37 PM
  • Thanks very much for your advice.  It's much appreciated.

I have used Microsoft Money since the very early days of the program and it would have been a pity to have been forced into using Quicken - although perhaps in the long term this is inevitable? 

It does look like some of my other XP software is not going to be compatible with Win7 so at least that's one program I won't have to replace/upgrade for the time being!

Best wishes, Bob

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:11 AM
  • Sorry - but could you please confirm the link that you have referred to.

I have so far only been able to find US versions and I have read that they might not be suitable for UK use. (I don't know why because, as I understand it, the online banking options are no longer supported)

Cheers, Bob

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Sorry - but could you please confirm the link that you have referred to.

I have so far only been able to find US versions and I have read that they might not be suitable for UK use. (I don't know why because, as I understand it, the online banking options are no longer supported)

Cheers, Bob

Money 2005 UK - QFE2 (the fixed self-contained UK Money 2005 file) can be downloaded from the link at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26915

Then click Download. The installation file is named "Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe.exe".

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 7:13 PM
  • Many thanks!
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 1:28 PM