none
All of my music shows up twice RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a Home Server (with Power Pack 2) and enabled Media Sharing so I could access my music from my Xbox.  After copying all of my music to \\homeserver\music, I started up my Xbox and connected.  Everything looked fine . . . but when I dug in, there are actually two of every track listed!  This makes it impossible to listen to an album since it will play every track on the album twice in a row.

I have duplication enabled for my music share (don't want to lose my tunes!) and suspect that could be related.  Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Thanks!
    Josh

-Josh
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 12:19 AM

Answers

• I've got a Home Server (with Power Pack 2) and enabled Media Sharing so I could access my music from my Xbox.  After copying all of my music to \\homeserver\music, I started up my Xbox and connected.  Everything looked fine . . . but when I dug in, there are actually two of every track listed!  This makes it impossible to listen to an album since it will play every track on the album twice in a row.

I have duplication enabled for my music share (don't want to lose my tunes!) and suspect that could be related.  Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Thanks!
    Josh

-Josh

Do you see 2 copies of each song when you browse to the server shares as well (or is it just through the XBox)?  Also, are you using an XBox 360 or original XBox?  Have you tried disabling the media streaming, rebooting the server, then re-enabling the media streaming?
    • Marked as answer by Josh Barnard Thursday, July 2, 2009 5:53 PM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 12:56 AM

All replies

Thanks!
    Josh

-Josh

Do you see 2 copies of each song when you browse to the server shares as well (or is it just through the XBox)?  Also, are you using an XBox 360 or original XBox?  Have you tried disabling the media streaming, rebooting the server, then re-enabling the media streaming?
    • Marked as answer by Josh Barnard Thursday, July 2, 2009 5:53 PM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 12:56 AM
  • Tell us about your home server, as well: Home built, or OEM? If OEM, from whom? What have you installed on your server, if anything?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:40 AM
  • Does the library still exist where you copied it from?  Desktop > HomeServer?  If it is still on your desktop I bet media sharing is finding it in both places.  You need to remove one of the locations from the monitor folders.

Monday, June 29, 2009 2:44 PM
  • Thanks for all the responses, let me fill in the details . . .

My home server is homemade.  It's not running any software other than the core OS, drivers, and a few add-ons that aren't related to media sharing.

The music only exists in one place on my network: On the \\homeserver\music share.  When I browse this share using Windows Explorer or the command line, I see exactly 1 of each track (as expected).  When I connect to the Home Server using Media Connect, either with Windows Media Player on my PC or using my Xbox 360, I see exactly 2 of every track (this is the problem).

Thanks,
    Josh

P.S. Please note that I do have duplication enabled on all of my home server files, including the music share.

-Josh
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 11:48 PM
  • Thanks for all the responses, let me fill in the details . . .

My home server is homemade.  It's not running any software other than the core OS, drivers, and a few add-ons that aren't related to media sharing.

The music only exists in one place on my network: On the \\homeserver\music share.  When I browse this share using Windows Explorer or the command line, I see exactly 1 of each track (as expected).  When I connect to the Home Server using Media Connect, either with Windows Media Player on my PC or using my Xbox 360, I see exactly 2 of every track (this is the problem).

Thanks,
    Josh

P.S. Please note that I do have duplication enabled on all of my home server files, including the music share.

-Josh

Very strange.  What about other media folders (Videos, Photos)?  Do you see dups of data in those shares as well?
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 4:45 AM
  • I tried your orginal suggestion ("disabling the media streaming, rebooting the server, then re-enabling the media streaming") and it seems to have worked!  Thanks for the help!  Unfortunately that means I don't know if this afected Videos and Photos as well.

Josh
    -Josh
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 5:53 PM
  • Is there anythig I can try this method doesnt work for me, I am seeing double of the muisic album titles not the songs?
    HMG
    Monday, July 6, 2009 11:21 AM