Limit bandwidth? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there, or could there be, a way to limit bandwidth when making backups? In my opinion, a simple sliding scale using percentages, simular to those used in p2p sharing apps, could be usful as not to slow the entire network down when backing up one machine. I don't know if it effects the entire network, but the response from the home server seemed much slower when trying to connect to it whilst it was backing up a wireless machine.

Just a thought.

Saturday, March 3, 2007 11:54 PM

All replies

• I doubt it's because of your network bandwidth. While backing up I see approx 5% usage. While the Home Server is backing a machine up I have no difficulty getting to shares and copying data, everything is fast and response time is very fast as well.

How powerful is your Home Server? If the config is weak you might want to think about beefing it up.

Can you post the config of your network and Home Server?

Sunday, March 4, 2007 12:41 AM
  • Its an old 1.2ghz athlon xp with 512mb ram, not brilliant but thought it should run it fine. The entire network wasnt too bad, just the server itself seemed unresponsive when connecting to it via remote desktop, as i was configuring the firewall at the time.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 12:46 AM