Newbie needs help. Acer WHS. Trying to add HD. Error message shows drive has no partition. RRS feed

• Question

• After using WHS for 2 months I decided to add second drive as backup for server drive. I plugged in new drive in one of the bays of  Acer Easystore 340 and powered it up. When I tried to add new drive, I got an error message: "The drive does not seem to have a partition. Please create a partition......"

The HD is Hitachi 7200/32mb/SATA-3G.    OS: Windows 7 Ultimate.

Question 1: What is meant by there is no partition (New drive needs to be formatted? partitioned?)

Question 2: I see two distinct drives in WHS console, but there seems to be  no way to either create a partition of format the drive from within the console. Win 7 directory shows only server name, but no drives are shown. What I am supposed to do now?

Question 3: Do I need and if so why would I need to partition a new drive?

Les
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 11:51 PM

Answers

• A bare OEM drive usually comes without any partition on it, and sometimes this causes the problem you're seeing. YOu can try adding the drive to server storage and removing it, then adding it as a backup drive, or you can simply connect it to another computer and format it there.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 1:35 AM

All replies

• A bare OEM drive usually comes without any partition on it, and sometimes this causes the problem you're seeing. YOu can try adding the drive to server storage and removing it, then adding it as a backup drive, or you can simply connect it to another computer and format it there.
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 1:35 AM
  • Which size does the disk have?

Check also the FAQ How to reinitialize a disk, which is not accepted for the storage pool, if it works for you.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, May 23, 2010 8:47 PM
  • Ken and Olaf, thank you for help. Ken's approach worked fine on a second trial. My first trial resulted in the same error as before. I removed the  drive clicking on remove option  and repeated the procedure again. The second time I was able to add the drive as backup.

BTW, I was trying to change the thread icon from the question mark to answered, but was unable to do so.

Les

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:06 AM
  • I too have this problem - similar Hitachi drive, 2 TB.

Thi will be my 4th drive in the ACER 340.

I'm trying to use it as a server backup, not as part of the pool.

So far, I have added it to the pool & removed it, 3 times. No problem formatting & adding to the pool.

However, when I try to add it as a server backup drive, I always get the prompt:

"Drive partitioning and restart required" - " The drive does not seem to have a partition. Please create a partition and restart WHS before trying to add the drive."

1) I have no other computers which interface with this drive's power pins, in order to create the partition outside WHS.

2) Some threads indicated "remoting in" & then creating the partition, but for the life of me I can't see any such path (I did dyndns in,but don't get any options different from those in my LAN WHS console)

3)Surely there's a disk management function where this can be done within WHS? (!!!)

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:22 PM
    3)Surely there's a disk management function where this can be done within WHS? (!!!)

No, unfortunately there isn't. Have you considered buying a USB to <your drive> bridge device, which would let you connect your drive to another computer as a bare drive? Such bridge devices are generally fairly inexpensive.
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Thanks Ken -

after reading your post, I tried a 4th time - lo & behold, I was not asked any partition questions!

The moral of the story - try, try & try again! :-)

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:31 PM