sbs 2003 server hangs on starting with rebuilding active directory indices

Question

•  

HI All,

I have a SBS 2003 server that has been running very smoothly for the last year.

Regular updates are done and we have had no issues.

Today i shut it down to install new hardware and when i restarted it hung for about an hour on "rebuilding active directory indices"

WHen it did eventually start-up, it hung again for about 45 minutes on appying computer settings.

It does the same thing in safe-mode.

Once i got into it, i discovered that a number of critical services failed to start, DNS, DHCP and a few others.

From what i can find on the net, the AD is completely corrupted but the only suggested fix is to demote it to a member and then run a DCPROMO to rebuild active directory. This is obviously not possible on an SBS server.

I would really appreciate anyones input at this point.

THanks in advance.

Paul

Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:07 PM

All replies

• Was it a new network card you were installing?

I've recently learned the hard way that SBS doesn't like gigabit NICs, if so you need to turn off all the utils on the network card, then rebuild the AD in dcpromo. Once it's running switch on the utils one at a time to find otu teh culprit, otherwise haev a look at the SBS analyzer on the MS site which seems to have dealt with my problems.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 9:44 AM
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks for posting a reply.

We did actually manage to get it sorted...it was actually an internal tape drive that we installed.

None of us really know why but the active directory database just fell over. WE restore the AD from back-up and away we went.

Thanks again for getting back to me.

Cheers.

Paul

Sunday, December 16, 2007 1:08 PM
  •  

Hello,

Same problem i am facing with my Windows 2003 Standard server (32Bit).

but there is no AD backup with me

so could you please help me for the same

Best regards,

Manoj Bhole.

Saturday, September 13, 2008 12:31 PM