reinstall windows HS on a different box RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone.  I built my own WHS from a box I had laying around.  But now the hardware (specifically the MB) is giving me issues.  I have been running WHS for about 2 months now.  Can I kill my old box and reinstall it on a new box with all new hardware (still under warranty, lol?) ?

thanks in advance,

jake.
    Friday, May 1, 2009 7:27 AM

Answers

• Yes you can do this.

If you want to preserve your data simply move all disks to the new box, make sure the the current primary disk is also primary disk in the new system, then boot from WHS install media and select server reinstall.
    Friday, May 1, 2009 7:45 AM

All replies

• Yes you can do this.

If you want to preserve your data simply move all disks to the new box, make sure the the current primary disk is also primary disk in the new system, then boot from WHS install media and select server reinstall.
    Friday, May 1, 2009 7:45 AM
  • Would you not have to get a new licence key from Microsoft, since CPU and motherboard have now changed?

I would have thought you would not be able to register it

Under the usual OEM terms, you potentially might not be given a new key by Microsoft when you phone to get an updated  key

Or is there a licence difference here?

Jeff
    Friday, May 1, 2009 8:18 AM
  • I think officially you are right. In practice I have never had any problems activating installation of MS OEM OS on new or changed hardware, although it may require using phone activation. You can reinstall without activating immediately (don't enter the key during installation). This will give you a 30 day period to activate the software.
    Friday, May 1, 2009 9:56 AM