backing up files RRS feed

• Question

• I got laptop in Jan./o8 I backed up files because of onecare prompting. Then shortly after, did it again, now they tell me AGAIN! This is time consuming&expensive and butpain. I watch movies from this free site- no burning etc.I do add to my bookmark, but not so much daily, like i did, pretty much think most could be saved ,but where else would i need backup? i read some text i website to bookmark. read e-mails, not that imp. So why so much backing up- most of now 3000 files are WHAT=JUNK? I have no clue even how to look at them .HOW? and would they be 'recognizable?' HELP! 

Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:42 PM

Answers

• You can reconfigure your backup plan to not backup files that you don't want to backup. If you have left t at the default settings, OneCare will backup all new or changed files for all kinds of data that is on your computer.

Open OneCare, click on Change Settings 

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Each of the file types will show you the approximate space needed for backup of this type. If you don't want any files of a type backed up, uncheck that file type.

If you want to exclude a location from being checked for files to backup or exclude specific files, click the exclude button and follow the wizard to do this.

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

If you don't want to perform any backups at this time, but backup manually at some point in the future, you can turn off backup in OneCare.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

-steve

Thursday, June 26, 2008 4:04 PM