SynctToy reports the wrong time on a file causing large updates... RRS feed

• Question

•  

Just installed SyncToy 2.0 (1/10/2009)

Have the following scenario: A file structure exists on my D: drive containing large number of folders and picture files.

Bought a new 1 TB drive and copied the structure over to the new drive as a backup.

Wife rearranged a small portion of the D: drive structure moving some files (~100) into 6 new folders.

Ran syncToy in preview mode to see what had to be synced....   Was surprised that over 6000 files need to be overwritten. On examination I noted that all of the files that had to be overwritten had an exact time difference of 5 hours between the files.

eg the file on the D: drive had a time of 10:13am and the one on the H: drive had a time of 3:13pm in the SyncToy preview.

Looking at the timestamps on both machines using Windows Explorer shows that the time stamp is 2:13 pm on both drives.

What was interesting was that over 10,000 photos were copied over to the H: drive and did not have different/incorrect timestamps in SyncToy's preview.

Since I am on the East Coast the TZ setting is 5 hours in the system so it looks like somehow the timestamp being used by SyncToy has not calculated the correct timestamp.

Any thoughts on what can be causing this?

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:58 AM

All replies

• Hi -

Are either of your drives FAT? Lately on this forum we have seen people even with 1 TB USB drives formatted a FAT32 disks. Generally if you are dealing with huge datasets - it is much better to reformat those disks as NTFS.

When FAT32 is the local filesystem we have difficulty detecting the correct timestamp because of LocalTime and UTC timestamps. It does look like that is that is the problem. There really is no workaround other than letting the sync happen once and SyncToy detect that all the times are the same.

Thanks

Deepa

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:41 AM
  • Good call.  I never checked the format on the Western Digital drive I just got. It indeed is formatted as FAT32. If I let the sync happed will it set the times correctly or is it possible that the date that results from the sync will be incorrect? For example in the screenshot I sent to Liam it appears that the time on the files will be incorrect since the overwritten files would have the wrong time when the process runs....

Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:24 AM
  • Finally I gave up SyncToy, if you download the free AlwaysSync, if works like a charm regardless if you synchronize NTFS and FAT drives and is ultra fast, no unneceary overwrites, also keeps versioning of documents. I tried check contents in Synch Toy and still would try to overwrite files constantly.
    Too bad looks pretty, but does not work.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 8:41 AM
  • I always used synctoy 1.4 and I like it. 
    recently I got a new laptop with Vista sp1 64bit. So I upgrade to synctoy 2.0 as well.

I had exactly the same problem with synctoy2. My backup HD is FAT32 (don't remember why it was formated as FAT32. Probably it was already formated when bought). My new laptop is NTFS.  SyncToy 2 proposed to overwrite all files (around 10,000 photos+video), because the dates are different. :(

AllwaySync is a perfect replacement. I did not find AlwaysSync, EDBELL. But thanks for the pointer I got AllwaySync. Wonder why microsoft can not do the same job. Anyway, synctoy is now a history in my computer.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:25 PM