Working With Files and Folders on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Why is it so painfully slow working with files on WHS via the console?  On occasion I get "not responding" when doing things like renaming a file, deleting a file, etc.

Sunday, January 10, 2010 3:56 AM

Answers

• The Windows Home Server console has no tools for manipulating files or folders on your server. If you're using a third party add-in for the purpose, you'll need to check with the author of that add-in.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:32 AM

All replies

• The Windows Home Server console has no tools for manipulating files or folders on your server. If you're using a third party add-in for the purpose, you'll need to check with the author of that add-in.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:32 AM
  • From the Shared Folders tab on the WHS Console, click on any shared folder, then from the top of the WHS Console (Add, Properties, Open, Remove) click on "Open" and from here one can open, delete, rename, etc.  However, if you look at the path, you will see it is through the network.  (\\ServerName\Public\DNS List) This may slow the operation as the manipulation is taking place across the network and not locally on WHS.

--

"Ken Warren" <=?utf-8?B?S2VuIFdhcnJlbg==?=> wrote in message news:86192a25-35c5-430 5-966e-9e1fbebaf09d...
    The Windows Home Server console has no tools for manipulating files or folders on your server. If you're using a third party add-in for the purpose, you'll need to check with the author of that add-in.

"JSHollis" <=?utf-8?B?SlNIb2xsaXM=?=> wrote in message news:c13d252b-e3d4-45b e-83a9-36961d936002...
    Why is it so painfully slow working with files on WHS via the console?  On occasion I get "not responding" when doing things like renaming a file, deleting a file, etc.

BullDawg
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 9:57 AM
  • While I did forget about that, it actually just opens the share in Windows Explorer on your local PC. The button is Windows Home Server, but everything else is local or via the shares. It's no faster (or slower) than the Shared Folders on SERVER access. If you see file access issues here, it's most often indicative of a network issue or a problem with server storage (if it happens on all clients) or a problem on that particular client (if just one).
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 1:40 PM