How to use with N3700 ITX? RRS feed

• Question

• I have had reliable service for years from Home Server 2011. However, I wanted to move it to a low power MB and ordered an ASrock N3700 ITX. I could not get it to boot properly (went into repair mode) and, when I tried to do a re-install, it went as far as wiping the boot disk but failed at that point. 

Just to test the hardware, Windows 8.1 installed without a hitch.

I would not be surprised if Home Server requires some new hardware drivers. Has anyone managed to install HS 2011 on this MB/CPU combination?

I may wind up using Windows 10 Pro as a server but would prefer to keep HS going if possible.

Thanks.

Monday, May 8, 2017 4:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that it failed to install WHS 2011 on new purchased hardware.

>Just to test the hardware, Windows 8.1 installed without a hitch.
    Windows 8.1 and WHS 2011, their core of system are different. Besides, hardware compatibility is different for different OS version. 

Make sure that your WHS 2011 installation medium is working/complete. As far as I know, both hardware and hardware driver are provided/developed by hardware manufacturer/provider. Please contact the hardware supporter/provider to confirm the compatibility for WHS 2011. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 6:08 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Can you try to set your mainboards SATA controller to boot in IDE mode?

Maybe the WHS installation is to old to support boot in AHCI mode. If this is no option, you need to find SATA drivers for the chip supporting Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 in a way, that you can load them during installation or inject into the setup medium.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 7:52 PM