DVD burner or just a ROM drive? RRS feed

• Question

• I finally got a copy of WHS on order from my source. (Discussed in a previous thread, but the thread got purged.) Now it's time to pull the trigger on some hardware. So my question:

If I spend the extra $10 on a DVD-R DL burner instead of just a DVD-ROM reader, is there any way to use it? Does WHS come with the XP burner software? Can you run Nero OEM on it? I wouldn't be authoring or anything, but it might make for easier backups and exports of data than serving data over the net to a client with a burner under some circumstances. I don't have a spare drive sitting around--so I'll be buying something to put in the WHS machine just to get it installed--and DVD-ROMs are pretty cheap and the incremental cost of the burner is nothing compared to the 3x 1TB drives--but if the burner capability is useless, I'll still save the $10.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 4:20 AM

Answers

• Certainly on my "home built" RTM edition WHS wont burn anything on its own.

And yes, Nero 8 installed and burnt fine - now tried both CD and DVD without problems.

Andrew

Saturday, October 27, 2007 2:08 PM

All replies

• There's no reason to leave the optical drive in your WHS machine after you've installed the operating system, as long as you're using the product yourself, not delivering it to a client. I have a DVD-ROM drive that I connect up when I need to install again on my dev box, but otherwise it sits in a box waiting for the next installation task.

So if you remove the drive when you're done installing, you can use it elsewhere.
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 4:56 AM
  • I know that I don't need the drive once WHS is installed, but you missed the thrust of my question. I have no drive floating around to use to install, so I have to get one. I have no machine in need of a drive, so there will be no better place to store it than in the server's case. So, now that it's in there, if it's a RW drive, can it actually burn a disc? (When used from an RDP session, of course.) Does WHS come with the XP burner? Does it work? Can NeroOEM be installed and will it work?

You are answering the quesion drive or no drive. My question is:

a) $19 DVD-ROM drive unplugged from power once WHS is installed, or

b) $29 DVD-RW DL drive left powered once WHS is installed.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 1:11 PM
  • Hi Dick

I suppose it comes down to how many discs do you think you might write? For the extra $10 I would go for the RW DL drive.

Im just installing Nero now to see if it works ok :-)

Andrew

Saturday, October 27, 2007 1:23 PM
  • Assuming I can actually use it as a burner that's where I was getting to. Before you installed Nero, did you check to see if WHS has the burner code and if it works? That would be Good Enough for lots of my purposes.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 1:30 PM
  • Nero's almost finished installing, so I will let you know.

I dont think WHS has any DVD writing capabilities - certainly it didnt act the same as XP or Vista does when I enter a blank disk, so I think you are looking at extra software.

Andrew

EDIT: should have been DIDNT not DID!

Saturday, October 27, 2007 1:34 PM
  • What if you drop a file on the DVD drive? (Or r-click Send To?) Does it cache it to write a disk? Does it prompt in the systray to write a disk?

Saturday, October 27, 2007 1:42 PM
  • Nope, that doesnt work, never mind.

I can confirm though that Nero works fine, just wrote a disk and it reads ok on 2 different machines.

Andrwe

Saturday, October 27, 2007 1:48 PM
  • So the summary of your experiments is:

WHS won't burn anything by itself.

Nero installed on WHS burns fine as far as you tried it.

Correct?

That'll raise the price of the optical drive by $3 or so... Oh, well. $3 for the Nero OEM, $290 x3 for the 1TB drives...

Saturday, October 27, 2007 2:03 PM
  • Certainly on my "home built" RTM edition WHS wont burn anything on its own.

And yes, Nero 8 installed and burnt fine - now tried both CD and DVD without problems.

Andrew

Saturday, October 27, 2007 2:08 PM
  • Thanks for your efforts and answers!

Saturday, October 27, 2007 2:36 PM
  • my pleasure - glad to help :-)

Andrew

Saturday, October 27, 2007 2:46 PM
  • Dick, one final bit of information, purely from a legal standpoint, is that the EULA for Windows Home Server effectively prohibits using the server as a desktop machine in any way. Per that document, you can use Remote Desktop only for administrative tasks, which I would construe to mean that you can't (for a particularly apropos example) use disk burning software like Nero or Roxio to create CDs/DVDs. If you want to stay strictly within the EULA terms, you could pull a DVD-ROM out of some other machine in your home temporarily and connect it to WHS. That would definitely work, because it's pretty much what I do (though I actually have a spare drive gathering dust that I install for setup).

Now, if some enterprising soul were to come up with a way to drive some burning software through a Console add-in, I would say there's no problem at all. How hard could it be? Smile One could archive stuff off to DVD on a regular basis that way...
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 3:57 PM
  • Purely from a legal standpoint I think I would defend to the death the notion that using an RDP session to backup data to an optical disk IS an administrative task, not "using it as a desktop machine".

It will be interesting to see what add-ins/console apps develop for this thing. Sure, the appliance WHS machines won't have optical drives. I'm betting 90% of the homebuilt ones will for the same reason mine will. The drives are cheap and many of us don't just have one sitting around.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 4:07 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Dick, one final bit of information, purely from a legal standpoint, is that the EULA for Windows Home Server effectively prohibits using the server as a desktop machine in any way. Per that document, you can use Remote Desktop only for administrative tasks, which I would construe to mean that you can't (for a particularly apropos example) use disk burning software like Nero or Roxio to create CDs/DVDs.

If you are using the local console there are no restrictions to using it as a desktop PC (although it doesn't seem to be a good idea). Burning DVDs for backups or archiving would probably be considured "Server management".

Ken Warren wrote:
    Now, if some enterprising soul were to come up with a way to drive some burning software through a Console add-in, I would say there's no problem at all.

You can't legally run anything you want in a console tab. The console uses RDP so you have the same restrictions to what you can run.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:30 AM
  •  Bezalel Geretz wrote:

You can't legally run anything you want in a console tab. The console uses RDP so you have the same restrictions to what you can run.

Are you talking legal--the APIs and RDP and so forth enable it, or legal--the Microsoft License Lawyers would approve?

At any rate, I just don't see their being much upside to Microsoft turning their license lawyers loose looking for people running a little Nero on their WHS RDP sessions from time to time. Seriously, the whole point of their license has to be trying to narrow application of WHS to markets where they are losing totally and not putting out one byte of their licensed code (can you spell NSLU2, etc.?) while not enabling people who would otherwise buy way more expensive MS server code to find WHS a suitable alternative. I'm sure they feel that the words on paper will do that and whether or not I run a little bit of Nero or play Freecell on the thing from time to time just isn't something they are going to get excited about.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 3:53 AM
  • I wasn't saying that Microsoft was going to sic their sharks lawyers on you. Smile I suspect that those provisions of the EULA are there to protect Microsoft in case you do something through Remote Desktop that totally hoses up your PC. Microsoft can say "But that's not a permitted use of the software! Why would you do that? We can't help you with the problems that result." and walk away.

To answer Bezalel's point about the console and RDP, I believe there is a specific exemption in the EULA for the console and add-ins. Now, Microsoft can still say "Hey, it's an add-in. We only support those if we supply them." And there is obviously a grey area for those developing an add-in. They're likely violating the EULA as well, but Microsoft encourages the creation of add-ins.

So no, I don't actually think you'll get in trouble if you use Nero every now and then. Personally, I have two USB drives that I rotate off-site every month, and a robocopy script that backs up stuff to the drives intelligently. No need for Nero, and frankly I don't want to burn a permanent copy of this data, because it does change from time to time.
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:14 PM
  •  

The only thing I would add, is that I just tried to remove Nero and I keep getting errors which wont allow me to remove it. Not a big deal, but thought i would mention it!

Andrew

Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:23 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    To answer Bezalel's point about the console and RDP, I believe there is a specific exemption in the EULA for the console and add-ins. Now, Microsoft can still say "Hey, it's an add-in. We only support those if we supply them." And there is obviously a grey area for those developing an add-in. They're likely violating the EULA as well, but Microsoft encourages the creation of add-ins.

I think that my second statement is being taken out of context. It was a response to your implication that tasks prohibited through an RDP session could be performed on a console tab. The console is designed to administer the server and Add-Ins should be administrative in nature. IMHO it would be a violation of the EULA to play Freecell on a console tab.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:41 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    I suspect that those provisions of the EULA are there to protect Microsoft in case you do something through Remote Desktop that totally hoses up your PC. Microsoft can say "But that's not a permitted use of the software! Why would you do that? We can't help you with the problems that result." and walk away.

My bet is there are already 100 provisions in the license that protect Microsoft in case I do or don't do anything with the product anyhow or anyway and something bad happens. I think they just don't want you doing anything with WHS that you could do with WinServer for a whole lot more revenue to MS. Somehow, though, I don't suspect a quick game of FreeCell is what they have in mind. But I'll probably play a few anyway just to see how fast my new hardware is... Freecell: what a great benchmark.

Monday, October 29, 2007 2:27 AM