Genuine Advantage Tool Crashing PC RRS feed

• Question

• Just like a previous submission (Barrowhill), I had problems with the original Genuine Advantage Tool (KB892130) about a year ago.  However, my problem was that after downloading the tool, my PC would crash after 3 minutes - no error messages or anything, it would completeely freeze and would only operate in Safe Mode.

It took about three weeks for the Microsoft Helpdesk to provide a solution, after intially claiming that because my PC was operating in Safe Mode, it was a third-party driver that was causing the problem (they blamed McAfee).  Unfortunately, I've deleted the solution from my e-mail as I didn't suspect that Microsoft would then go on to create the same problem a year later - with the same software.  And it's not just me, as anyone can see from comments on the forums.

Just to be sure that the problem cannot be blamed on McAfee again, I've had to restore my PC to a point 2 weeks ago, and uninstall McAfee.  The PC worked fine until I downloaded WGA - and then crashed.

So, what I need to know is how I can use the PC that I have paid £hundreds for without Microsoft software causing it to crash?  I've followed the instructions given to Barrowhill in another thread and the solutions given are not working.  Should I just switch Windows Update off permanently, or give up on MS being able to provide a secure and working operating system and try another?

Many thanks

Friday, June 22, 2007 11:09 PM

Answers

• Amacaulay,

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers to address the issue you are currently experiencing. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1.      Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.

2.      Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

I would like to provide some of the self-help options we have made available for our customers to address these issues. If you could please follow the steps outlined below the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. You can do this by choosing the “Resolve Now” button if it appears. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Thank you

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, June 22, 2007 11:58 PM
  • Sorry Stephen, as with the last time this happened, the initial advice is not working.

I followed Step 1 - no problems

I followed Step 2 - no problems

I followed Step 3:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-R2473-YC2B2-M3WYT
    Windows Product Key Hash: 4JR9/iu+DIp8tzc12kgoH7aPb+A=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2167624-63558
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: c0196eb4-7dd6-4a31-bf03-bb70dbad97f4
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: Yes
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.17.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>c0196eb4-7dd6-4a31-bf03-bb70dbad97f4</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-M3WYT</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2167624-63558</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2402623133-4164314923-767260147</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>NVIDIA</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20050708000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>F9F33A5701844066</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>4328C527B332064</Val><Hash>ouaNwtz9BWu7DK4kqgW23iKPQgc=</Hash><Pid>70141-050-8131341-56901</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

I then went to the Microsoft Update site, which gave an 0x80245003 error.  I followed the instructions and deleted the necessary folders.  My PC then crashed after the Active X control was installed whilst checked for new updates.

So now, rather than my PC crashing when the update is downloading, my PC is crashing just by using the MS update site!  Thanks a lot!

As I mentioned in my previous post, I was messed around for several weeks until finally given the solution.  I'd hoped that by explaining that I had followed your advice already posted to previous users, and that I had had this problem before that you could resolve this speedily.  Please could you re-read what my problem actually is before providing advice that does not help, and could you please retrieve the final adice that you gave me to resolve the problem last year rather than waste my time.

To reiterate: My problem is not with the WGA tool itself because my PC is crashing before it downloads.

Many thanks

Sunday, June 24, 2007 1:28 AM
  • AMacaulay,

Both your installed XP and Office are being reported as Genuine by the mgadiag utility.  All other WGA-related files and settings are showing as expected.

Since you problem would appear to be one with Windows Update/Microsoft Update, may I suggest posting your question in that forum:  http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate

There are many threads that come up when one searches on the WU error message you received,  0x80245003, such as this one:  http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&tid=48cc76b2-ed82-4561-a6fc-1cc4dd3d4c79&p=1

Sunday, June 24, 2007 8:35 PM
  • Sorry Dan, this did not work either.  Nor do any of the solutions in that forum as they all seem to be variations of the same method.

In regards to to the 0x802445003 thread that you liked to, I was able to acomplish every step except delete the WU and MU classes - they didn't exist.  I don't now whether this is because I'm having to use System Restore to get my PC working and some files are missing.  I tried to replicate the instructions in safe mode but this was impossible.

One idea has struck me in regards to your idea that it might be the Active X that is responsible and not the WGA download and that is that I was prompted to install a new Active X control, which caused no problems for about 2 days.  When the site updated, I downloaded MS's monthly security bundle and was still OK.  Once I download the WGA update it all went wrong and since then when I've used the previous instruction the PC has crashed within 2 minutes of downloading the new active X control/started search for new updates.  Spefically, the MS website asked for me to download the Windows Update software, and provided an advertisment for MS update but before I could download it, the PC froze again.

I'll post my problem in the forum you suggested, but it appears to me to be a problem specifically associated with the WGA download.  I'm almost certain that a new Active X control had to be downloaded before the WGA tool was downloaded last year, which caused me problems also.

Would deleting all the downloaded programmes, files and control resolve this?

Sunday, June 24, 2007 10:41 PM

All replies

• Amacaulay,

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers to address the issue you are currently experiencing. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1.      Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.

2.      Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

I would like to provide some of the self-help options we have made available for our customers to address these issues. If you could please follow the steps outlined below the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. You can do this by choosing the “Resolve Now” button if it appears. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Thank you

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, June 22, 2007 11:58 PM
  • Sorry Stephen, as with the last time this happened, the initial advice is not working.

I followed Step 1 - no problems

I followed Step 2 - no problems

I followed Step 3:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-R2473-YC2B2-M3WYT
    Windows Product Key Hash: 4JR9/iu+DIp8tzc12kgoH7aPb+A=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2167624-63558
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: c0196eb4-7dd6-4a31-bf03-bb70dbad97f4
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: Yes
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.17.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>c0196eb4-7dd6-4a31-bf03-bb70dbad97f4</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-M3WYT</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2167624-63558</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2402623133-4164314923-767260147</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>NVIDIA</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20050708000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>F9F33A5701844066</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>4328C527B332064</Val><Hash>ouaNwtz9BWu7DK4kqgW23iKPQgc=</Hash><Pid>70141-050-8131341-56901</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

I then went to the Microsoft Update site, which gave an 0x80245003 error.  I followed the instructions and deleted the necessary folders.  My PC then crashed after the Active X control was installed whilst checked for new updates.

So now, rather than my PC crashing when the update is downloading, my PC is crashing just by using the MS update site!  Thanks a lot!

As I mentioned in my previous post, I was messed around for several weeks until finally given the solution.  I'd hoped that by explaining that I had followed your advice already posted to previous users, and that I had had this problem before that you could resolve this speedily.  Please could you re-read what my problem actually is before providing advice that does not help, and could you please retrieve the final adice that you gave me to resolve the problem last year rather than waste my time.

To reiterate: My problem is not with the WGA tool itself because my PC is crashing before it downloads.

Many thanks

Sunday, June 24, 2007 1:28 AM
  • AMacaulay,

Both your installed XP and Office are being reported as Genuine by the mgadiag utility.  All other WGA-related files and settings are showing as expected.

Since you problem would appear to be one with Windows Update/Microsoft Update, may I suggest posting your question in that forum:  http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate

There are many threads that come up when one searches on the WU error message you received,  0x80245003, such as this one:  http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&tid=48cc76b2-ed82-4561-a6fc-1cc4dd3d4c79&p=1

Sunday, June 24, 2007 8:35 PM
  • Sorry Dan, this did not work either.  Nor do any of the solutions in that forum as they all seem to be variations of the same method.

In regards to to the 0x802445003 thread that you liked to, I was able to acomplish every step except delete the WU and MU classes - they didn't exist.  I don't now whether this is because I'm having to use System Restore to get my PC working and some files are missing.  I tried to replicate the instructions in safe mode but this was impossible.

One idea has struck me in regards to your idea that it might be the Active X that is responsible and not the WGA download and that is that I was prompted to install a new Active X control, which caused no problems for about 2 days.  When the site updated, I downloaded MS's monthly security bundle and was still OK.  Once I download the WGA update it all went wrong and since then when I've used the previous instruction the PC has crashed within 2 minutes of downloading the new active X control/started search for new updates.  Spefically, the MS website asked for me to download the Windows Update software, and provided an advertisment for MS update but before I could download it, the PC froze again.

I'll post my problem in the forum you suggested, but it appears to me to be a problem specifically associated with the WGA download.  I'm almost certain that a new Active X control had to be downloaded before the WGA tool was downloaded last year, which caused me problems also.

Would deleting all the downloaded programmes, files and control resolve this?

Sunday, June 24, 2007 10:41 PM
  • AMA:

From the wga diagnostics information, it looks like your PC is running just fine. Please keep in mind that WGA Validation and Notification runs very quickly (upon either web-command or first load of the OS) and then closes after it verifies its running on a genuine PC. These actions both take less than 30 seconds.

Can you please elaborate how the Validation ActiveX causes a crash?

Is there an error-code or blue-screen message that comes up when the computer crashes? We can help you identify which update may be causing this experience for you.

-phil

Monday, June 25, 2007 11:49 PM