RB RRS feed

• Question

• can't open Microsoft money from back up to Version 10 .MBF fie can only open in native mode
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 1:50 AM

All replies

• More detail please.  What is the version of Money that created the .mbf file?  What version are you using to try and open it?  Exactly what is the error message that you receive?

Do you have a .mny file?  Can you open that?

Bill Becker

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 2:13 AM
  • Microsoft money 7 on external hard drive from a xp desktop going version 10 .  get message that  .MBF file can only be opened in Native Mode.
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 12:50 PM
  • Both US versions?  If you are not sure, please give the full version numbers.

Do you have a .mny file on the XP desktop?  Is version 10 installed on the XP desktop or a different computer.  If different, what OS on that computer.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 2:21 PM
  • You can't simply take the money files (data files or program files) from one computer and have another computer use them. You need to install the same exact (year and country) version that the original computer used of Microsoft Money, on the new computer, or a newer year's version for that country. The installation process lets the new computer know how to access and use Microsoft Money.

If you do not still have the correct installation disk, see the second sticky note which will have links to all of the latest versions for each country. If you are installing Money Plus Sunset for US, also make the DLL patch as described in the first sticky post after you have successfully installed Money.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 4:02 PM
  • Money 7 is Money 1999. Money 10 is Money 2002.

The mny data file formats differ for each version of Money and are not compatible. Later versions of Money can open and convert mny data files from earlier versions of Money but not vice versa.

I think the Native Mode message means that Money 2002 cannot convert a Money 1999 mbf backup. You may need to open the backup in Native Mode, save the file then open the saved (Money 1999) file in Money 2002, which should then convert it to Money 2002 format.

You may be able to upgrade both systems to the latest appropriate regional version of Money. See the second post in this forum. The data and backup files would then be transferable between both systems.

Thursday, June 8, 2017 9:49 AM
  • I think I am right in saying that Windows XP was available in a 64 bit version and that Microsoft Money 1999 (version 7) included some 16 bit code and that the former OS will not support the latter application. Run  sysdm.cpl   from the command line; under the General tab you should see either Windows XP Professional Version <Year> (for 32 bit) or Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version <Year> (for 64 bit). This may explain your problem.

Windows XP Home is bound to be 32 bit and I think that can handle applications with 16 bit code.

Microsoft Money 2002 (version 10) does not include any 16 bit code; it is built on the Jet 4 Database.

Teabag 2

Friday, June 9, 2017 1:36 PM