Remot access or http access. RRS feed

• Question

• How can a regular family with WHS in there home access the remote access web? As I understand the families has an always on internet connection but with DHCP assign ip address. As for me i get a new ip address almost every day and if I want to share pictures or folders to other family members I would have to send them a new ip every day. And my ISP does not offer static ip. The way I solve this is using a dyn. dns program that always update the dns record for my domain with a new ip. But I would not count on a regular family to do this since it is quite complicated for some.

A solution? some sort of easy dynamic dns setup on the WHS? Or that MS have a site that keeps track of the WHS that is online?

How have you solved this?   

Regards

Anders

Thursday, March 1, 2007 12:31 PM

All replies

• It's my understanding that Microsoft intends to include some sort of dynamic DNS functionality in the shipping version of WHS. In the meantime, the third party services (such as DynDNS) are the answer for beta testers.
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 12:41 PM
  • I believe that the homeserver.com service is planned to roll out at a later time.  I use the no-ip.com dyn dns client and it works fine here ...

- Jim
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 1:51 PM