Trial-to-OEM & Drive Upgrades RRS feed

• Question

• I'm being given a gift of WHS OEM, but it has been delayed a few weeks.  I had already ordered a half-price Dell and I only have about two more weeks to decide if I like it.  So, I've got my hands on a 120-day trial version of WHS.  This machine is an Athlon 64 x2 4000+ with 1 GB RAM and a 250 GB SATA HD.  I've ordered a 750 GB WD GP HD that is to arrive early next week.

So I guess I have two issues.

(1) Should I wait until I get the 750 GB drive before installing the trial of WHS, making the 750 GB drive the system drive?  Or is the 250 GB drive relatively decent size to go ahead and install now?

(2) I would appreciate some elaboration on doing a reinstall to move from trial version to OEM.  I understand that my data will be safe, but what about settings?  Will I have to go back and choose which drives/folders to back up on each PC?  Will I lose all the PC backups done prior to the reinstall?  Anything else I might need to be aware of in advance?

Thanks very much!

Friday, January 25, 2008 9:00 PM

Answers

• If you reinstall on the same drive then your backups will be fine.

As for the user data, you would be better copying the data off before changing the drives then copying it back when you have swapped them - its easier!

Andrew

Saturday, January 26, 2008 9:21 PM

All replies

• When you perform the reinstall, all you will need to do is recreate your user acconts, repermission your shared folders and reinstall any add-ins or additional software.

I would say as you are only trialling it at the moment, go with the 250 GB drive and play around with WHS. If you want to do a complete reinstall later and change the drive just keep copies of your data and copy it back over when the time comes.

Andrew

Friday, January 25, 2008 9:21 PM
  • Thanks for the advice.  I'm still unclear whether my PC backups done under the trial version will remain when I reinstall the OEM version.  Also, once I install the 750 GB drive, will I be able to copy user data from the 250 GB drive after I reinstall WHS?
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 8:24 PM
  • If you reinstall on the same drive then your backups will be fine.

As for the user data, you would be better copying the data off before changing the drives then copying it back when you have swapped them - its easier!

Andrew

Saturday, January 26, 2008 9:21 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification.  Based on the information here, I'm just going to wait until my new 750 GB drive arrives on Monday or Tuesday and load the trial version onto it.  I'll make the original 250 GB drive the secondary drive.  Then I'll try not to install too many add-ins and things before the OEM version arrives!  By doing this, it sounds like my backups and data will all be just fine.  I'm hoping my settings will be retained, but that doesn't seem likely as many of them will end up in HKLM, which should be overwritten with the reinstall.  Thanks again.
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 9:57 PM
  • My pleasure.

It depends what you mean by settings, although I suspect that what you may be thinking about will need to be redone.

Perhaps if you could give me some examples I could tell you....

Andrew

Saturday, January 26, 2008 10:07 PM
  • Well, I'm not sure I have very many examples having never worked with WHS.  But I imagine things like which drives or which folders on each computer should be backed up, and how often.  Or which folders are to be accessible from the Internet.

I suppose if I keep notes of everything I configure, I can go back and re-do whatever I need to.  It is possible I'm too mentally fixed to the idea that if I set up my workstation, used it for 120 days, and then had to reinstall Windows, I'd really be losing a tremendous amount of customization and settings.  Perhaps there's much less of this because we're dealing with a server.

FWIW, I was considering adding the Tivo add-in and pyTivo just to get started with media serving.  I can't imagine there would be very many settings there.
    Sunday, January 27, 2008 3:04 PM