none
Converting from Money 2004 Standard to Sunset RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running Money 2004 Standard since it was available and am wondering if I should replace it with the Sunset version. I am concerned that at some point the 2004 version will quit working altogether or I will be forced into a Windows 10 upgrade. I basically just need to be able to maintain my checking, savings, credit card, mortgage, and auto loan accounts, reconcile accounts (manually) and have the "manage bills and deposits function". 1) Does my current version qualify me for a Sunset version? 2) Will the Sunset versions be able to import my money file or will I have to start from scratch? 3) Can both versions co-exist or is that not advisable?
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 2:30 AM

Answers

• It is likely that Money 2004 US will work on a computer running Windows 10.

Re Money Sunset, if you are running a US version of Money 2004 then US Money Plus Deluxe Sunset will be able to open and convert your current Money.mny to the Sunset format. You can download the Sunset installation file for free from a link that is in the second "Sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

After you install Sunset, it is a good idea to also replace the mnyob99.dll file with a patched version as described in the first "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

The patch is not needed for Windows 7 but it won't hurt and it is needed if you upgrade to Windows 10.

You can run both Money 2004 and Sunset, but once you convert your Money.mny file with Sunset you will not be able to read that file with Money 2004.  I would recommend that you make a copy of your Money.mny 2004 file and put it in a safe location. Then open and convert your regular Money.mny 2004 file with Sunset and try it out.  If you are happy with Sunset you are all set.  If you don't like it for some reason, you can uninstall Sunset, recover your backup, and continue with Money 2004.

Bill Becker

• Marked as answer by taherte Sunday, January 3, 2016 8:13 PM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 4:20 AM
  • 1. Money Plus Deluxe Sunset is free.

2. If you got Money 2004 in North America, you can install and use Money Plus Deluxe Sunset which will convert your Money 2004 file.

3. Yes you can have both, but it may not be advisable due to complication.

Pay attention during install.  I don't remember Money Plus suggesting
    it might uninstall earlier versions by default, but it is possible that
    I checked to not uninstall without making note of it.  I am not
    sure.

You can have both 2004 and Plus on your computer at the same time,
    installed into different folders.  You can have them open, one at a
    time. If you want to do that, be careful to not have Money Plus
    uninstall earlier versions. I think that might be the default, so be
    alert.

They will need to work with different files, so might want
    to copy your earlier file to Something08.mny and convert that
    file. Each version will have its own MRU (most recently used)
    list to remember which file to open.

The only caveats I can think of are the last-installed is set up
    with the file associations, so if you double-click a file in
    Windows Explorer, then Money Plus would try to open it.  Similarly,
    when you download an OFX or QIF, the last installed gets fed the
    file.  To feed the file to both, save the file to disk, and do
    File->Import to both.  Just clicking a link sends the file to the
    last-installed.  You could manually adjust the associations, or
    could reinstall 2004 to reset the associations.

If you install Plus,

If you decide to not use Money Plus, don't uninstall it.  Uninstall
    uninstalls Plus, but it makes previous versions not work.  I think
    it removes some shared component(s).  You will be warned during
    uninstall.

Money 2004 only keeps the most recent backup upon exit, plus the most recent as the scheduled backup if you use that. Money Plus defaults of keeping the latest 4 of each. If your file got corrupted, upon exit, Money would overwrite your good backup with a corrupted backup. You should make a backup method that allows for that, and you should be able to keep good backups even if your hard drive were to fail... and maybe you might want to have an off-site backup, such as in the cloud.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 3:03 PM

All replies

• It is likely that Money 2004 US will work on a computer running Windows 10.

Re Money Sunset, if you are running a US version of Money 2004 then US Money Plus Deluxe Sunset will be able to open and convert your current Money.mny to the Sunset format. You can download the Sunset installation file for free from a link that is in the second "Sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

After you install Sunset, it is a good idea to also replace the mnyob99.dll file with a patched version as described in the first "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

The patch is not needed for Windows 7 but it won't hurt and it is needed if you upgrade to Windows 10.

You can run both Money 2004 and Sunset, but once you convert your Money.mny file with Sunset you will not be able to read that file with Money 2004.  I would recommend that you make a copy of your Money.mny 2004 file and put it in a safe location. Then open and convert your regular Money.mny 2004 file with Sunset and try it out.  If you are happy with Sunset you are all set.  If you don't like it for some reason, you can uninstall Sunset, recover your backup, and continue with Money 2004.

Bill Becker

• Marked as answer by taherte Sunday, January 3, 2016 8:13 PM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 4:20 AM
  • 1. Money Plus Deluxe Sunset is free.

2. If you got Money 2004 in North America, you can install and use Money Plus Deluxe Sunset which will convert your Money 2004 file.

3. Yes you can have both, but it may not be advisable due to complication.

Pay attention during install.  I don't remember Money Plus suggesting
    it might uninstall earlier versions by default, but it is possible that
    I checked to not uninstall without making note of it.  I am not
    sure.

You can have both 2004 and Plus on your computer at the same time,
    installed into different folders.  You can have them open, one at a
    time. If you want to do that, be careful to not have Money Plus
    uninstall earlier versions. I think that might be the default, so be
    alert.

They will need to work with different files, so might want
    to copy your earlier file to Something08.mny and convert that
    file. Each version will have its own MRU (most recently used)
    list to remember which file to open.

The only caveats I can think of are the last-installed is set up
    with the file associations, so if you double-click a file in
    Windows Explorer, then Money Plus would try to open it.  Similarly,
    when you download an OFX or QIF, the last installed gets fed the
    file.  To feed the file to both, save the file to disk, and do
    File->Import to both.  Just clicking a link sends the file to the
    last-installed.  You could manually adjust the associations, or
    could reinstall 2004 to reset the associations.

If you install Plus,

If you decide to not use Money Plus, don't uninstall it.  Uninstall
    uninstalls Plus, but it makes previous versions not work.  I think
    it removes some shared component(s).  You will be warned during
    uninstall.

Money 2004 only keeps the most recent backup upon exit, plus the most recent as the scheduled backup if you use that. Money Plus defaults of keeping the latest 4 of each. If your file got corrupted, upon exit, Money would overwrite your good backup with a corrupted backup. You should make a backup method that allows for that, and you should be able to keep good backups even if your hard drive were to fail... and maybe you might want to have an off-site backup, such as in the cloud.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 3:03 PM