Network printer installation best practice - multiple print preferences (server 2003 x64 / various x86 clients) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I could really do with some tips here please as this surely shouldn't be this frustrating...

Company just bought a Ricoh Aficio MP C3502. I have installed the Universal PCL 6 driver (32-bit and 64-bit) that came with the printer disk onto our Server 2003 x64. I have following the standard network printer installation method and can print the test page. I shared this printer, and have a various (mainly W7) x86 clients connected to it, which prints fine.

This is the main printer in the office and management want to restrict colour printing to some select individuals, whiist keeping default printing as black and white.

I have set up the printer twice (eg, \\111.111.111.11_colour and \\111.111.111.11_bw) on the server to tried to set print preferences in a way that the Black and White printer has the Colour option greyed out, which i couldn't - how could this be achieved? I have seen printers installed on 2 different servers (one for each colour preference) and the links sent to the sufficiently-privileged persons, though this is not very secure and is a work around assuming the UNC path is not known. Is it best to link this to AD Group Policy / security groups?

I have tried some other things suggested by Ricoh (eg, user code authentication) but would like to know what the best practice for achieving this is from a Microsoft perspective?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 3:55 PM