CRM 4 Data Migration Manager fails exceeded limit of 4096 MB RRS feed

• Question

• Was using Migration mAnager fine until about an hour ago when it stopped loading files.  Next I closed it and restarted and foung that I could not get past the log in to CRM screen.

I have attached the Event Log messages below. 

What is the easiest, quickest way to fix this?  I'd rather not lose my previous import as I'll base the next one on that.  Don't mind losing anything before that.  I do have a SQL 2005 Server available on a seperate box which is hosting CRM itself.  I don't have the SQL Client Tools though as the box is hosted by a third party and they didn't install them. 

Must be some way I can clear out the local db or migrate it to SQL 2005 without too much pain.

"CREATE DATABASE or ALTER DATABASE failed because the resulting cumulative database size would exceed your licensed limit of 4096 MB per database."

"Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.OrganizationUIBase'.'cndx_PrimaryKey_OrganizationUI' in database 'MSCRM_MIGRATION' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full. Create disk space by deleting unneeded files, dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup."

Thursday, June 24, 2010 11:07 AM

Answers

• The Data Migration Manager is a free application with a number of known limitations. Sorry you're having issues with it. Unfortunately there are limited instructions or guides available, so it's a matter of learning as you go or learning from the community as far as DMM is concerned.

If you have some serious data migration requirements, I suggest looking at one of the third-party products available for Dynamics CRM.

If you want to stick with Data Migration Manager, it's best to run it on a dedicated computer (i.e. a computer that doesn't have CRM server or CRM for Outlook installed), but has SQL Server installed (just about any edition is better than Express because of the 4GB limit); the computer can be a well-speced workstation or a poorly-speced server, as long as it's 32-bit ; )

Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

Friday, June 25, 2010 2:41 PM

All replies

• Took the plunge and installed DM on the SQL server so I could start fresh.  Alas my DB is 64bit so I've had to stick with Express and it's 4GB limit.

Any tips for stopping this problem from happening again.  What did that 4GB consist of?  Does it keep every data import in full?   Would deleting the older imports clear the space?

!! This software should work with SQL 64 bit.  Outragious and massively inconvenient that it doesn't. !!

I uninstalled it from the CRM Server before I read the posts about that potentially breaking CRM's Async.  I have reinstalled it again.  Will that be enough to repair any damage?

Thursday, June 24, 2010 12:54 PM
  • The Data Migration Manager is a free application with a number of known limitations. Sorry you're having issues with it. Unfortunately there are limited instructions or guides available, so it's a matter of learning as you go or learning from the community as far as DMM is concerned.

If you have some serious data migration requirements, I suggest looking at one of the third-party products available for Dynamics CRM.

If you want to stick with Data Migration Manager, it's best to run it on a dedicated computer (i.e. a computer that doesn't have CRM server or CRM for Outlook installed), but has SQL Server installed (just about any edition is better than Express because of the 4GB limit); the computer can be a well-speced workstation or a poorly-speced server, as long as it's 32-bit ; )

Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

Friday, June 25, 2010 2:41 PM
  • I ended up re-installing the software on the database server.  Alas the environment is 64bit so I have had to stick with Express.

It just seems strange that 64bit is not supported.  Surely the platform should have no relevance since SQL is ubiquitous.  I would have imagined that DMM would be genarating platform independent SQL and that perhaps all that would be required is a small update to the application itself, way back.  64bit is as old as CRM 4.0 surely.

My experience has been largely positive, marred by something that should not be an issue.  It's not easy to clean out the DB either which would be a perfectly good workaround for the 4GB limitation.  Even now my new installation has reached 1.5GB and I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be finished before I run out of space.

Monday, June 28, 2010 12:51 PM