can't access external hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I failed to use the correct method of removing my external usb hard drive consequently I have multiple drive icons in my 'computer' box, live one care can not access my drive to do back ups now, Is there a solution?

Friday, August 15, 2008 4:28 PM

Answers

• Try resetting the backup plan:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

If that doesn't work, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, August 15, 2008 4:30 PM

All replies

• Try resetting the backup plan:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

If that doesn't work, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, August 15, 2008 4:30 PM
  • got to the point of Change location but it didn't recognise my hard drive, I need to get my hard drive using only 1 drive icon , what caused my trouble I think is because I didn't use the correct procedure to remove drive from the pc

Friday, August 15, 2008 5:30 PM
  • Is the external drive connected via USB? Remove the drive, reboot the PC with it disconnected, and after you log back into Windows, plug it back in. Can you access the drive in Windows Explorer?

-steve

Friday, August 15, 2008 6:22 PM
  • pc wont recognise external drive using this method but it does if I plug it in be

fore I restart, but I end up with 3 drive icons in the computer section that shows all the drive connections, when i try to open it in w/explorer it asks me to insert a disc?

Friday, August 15, 2008 7:41 PM
  • I think you are seeing different drive letters for removable media, perhaps a card reader for flash media cards built into the PC. When you remove a USB drive from the PC, the drive letter does not remain in Windows Explorer as the device does not exist.

-steve

Monday, August 18, 2008 2:54 PM