none
Unanswered forum posts not reviewed

Question

• Hi all, I contributed with a couple of answers to some threads in the PowerShell and hey scripting guys forums but users are not replying or marking my solution as an answer. This is really frustrating, in the past a microsoft contignent staff member scans the threads and processes them. But now it seems like no one is reviewing my threads , what is the normal policy regarding unanswered threads and who do I have to ask to take a look at this. Thanks guys.

Cheers,

Ruud
    Blog: www.ruudborst.nl  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   
    Note: Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Monday, October 12, 2015 3:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Ruud,

This all depends on the forum's individual moderators. The PowerShell forum is staffed with CSGs, so threads will usually be reviewed and eventually marked (The standard is to propose after a few days of inactivity and then wait 7 days before marking. This is not always strictly kept to, especially when the CSGs rotate.). ITCG does not have CSGs and is left to the community moderators (mostly Bill, but there are several others).

Monday, October 12, 2015 3:36 PM
  • About 1/4 of your replies have been marked as answers, which is a decent percentage. As Mike said, it is best practice for moderators to wait a few days, to allow the original poster time to mark answers, which is always the preferred outcome. They generally first mark as a proposed answer, to kind of kick start the process. I have had cases where my reply did not get marked as an answer for over a month.

I will add, that marking your own replies as a proposed answer doesn't help. You don't get credit toward "proposed answerer" achievements, for example, and some people object to the practice.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

• Marked as answer by Ruud BorstMVP Monday, October 12, 2015 5:44 PM
    Monday, October 12, 2015 3:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Ruud,

This all depends on the forum's individual moderators. The PowerShell forum is staffed with CSGs, so threads will usually be reviewed and eventually marked (The standard is to propose after a few days of inactivity and then wait 7 days before marking. This is not always strictly kept to, especially when the CSGs rotate.). ITCG does not have CSGs and is left to the community moderators (mostly Bill, but there are several others).

Monday, October 12, 2015 3:36 PM
  • Hi Mike!

Ah, that explains things, so I have to wait patiently.  I've got threads going back to october 1st and of course other threads are pilling up as we speak. Thanks for the swift reply.

Cheers,

Ruud
    Note: Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Monday, October 12, 2015 3:41 PM
  • About 1/4 of your replies have been marked as answers, which is a decent percentage. As Mike said, it is best practice for moderators to wait a few days, to allow the original poster time to mark answers, which is always the preferred outcome. They generally first mark as a proposed answer, to kind of kick start the process. I have had cases where my reply did not get marked as an answer for over a month.

I will add, that marking your own replies as a proposed answer doesn't help. You don't get credit toward "proposed answerer" achievements, for example, and some people object to the practice.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

• Marked as answer by Ruud BorstMVP Monday, October 12, 2015 5:44 PM
    Monday, October 12, 2015 3:50 PM
  • Cheers, you're welcome.

Just to set expectations though, it's highly unlikely that every thread you participate in will end up being marked. OPs don't always (or even generally IMHO) mark answers and the forums can be so busy at times that the moderators can't really keep up.

As an example, I have well over 1300 unanswered threads in my thread listing. Some of those are set as discussions, but many are threads that just won't ever get marked.

The way I look at it is that as long as one of my posts answers the question, future people will be able to find the answer even if it's not marked. That's all that really counts in my book.

Monday, October 12, 2015 3:51 PM
  • Hi Richard, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated from you guys, I'm eager to learn.

And Mike I totally believe in the support objective and people stumbling upon the answers via google or other links in the future but since I just started I really want to cross the magic 1000 points, after that I don't care. It's also beacuse everytime you logon you will see the points beside your name and if that's not going up after a week or so after it did go up rapidly the previous weeks you will notice it, maybe I wouldn't care if I didn't see it that much.

But besides that I'm also learning from other users, it's a real win win situation and it's also becoming a bit addictive :)

Thanks for clearing things up guys, we will cross paths again!

Cheers,

Ruud

Monday, October 12, 2015 5:43 PM