First Backup Taking a Long Time ! RRS feed

• Question

• I started my first back of a 160 GB drive over a wired connection last night at 9:00 PM.

At some point during the night the following message poped up: "Run-time error '429': ActiveX component can't create object" The status bar showed progress of 46%.

It's now 11 hours l since the backup started and the status bar show 48% progress.

Is all this normal? 

Thanks,

Bob

Friday, December 7, 2007 1:58 PM

Answers

• Assuming your 160 GB drive is full, and assuming you're getting the full 10 Mb (=~1.1 MB) per second transfer, then you're looking at about 40 hours to back up the drive. The drive probably isn't full, which would help, but I can pretty well guarantee that you're not getting the full transfer rate of your network, which will hurt.

Anyway, your initial backup is going to take quite a while...
    Friday, December 7, 2007 5:39 PM

All replies

• No, that's not normal. I would try again. I don't have any idea what could be wrong, but it's definitely not normal.

Cruise
    Friday, December 7, 2007 3:10 PM
  • What is your network speed? My first backup of a 80GB drive (with about 60GB full) on a 100Mbs LAN took about 2 hours. So, unless you are running on a 10Mbs LAN it seems that you have a problem.

I would check your client PC, run task manager to see if the backup process is still active and if it is accumulating CPU time & I/Os. - You might need to add the I/O columns to the Processes tab -- you can do this with View->Set Columns. See what is in the event log too.

If you have any kind of filtering software on the PC, disable it to see if that helps. I ran into problems with Cybersitter and WHS backup. Cybersitter is filtering software that was attempting to filter all of the data going back and forth through the PC. Backups were extremely slow and some would not finish at all. When I disabled Cybersitter, the backups run much more quickly. I am going to try a more permanent solution this weekend, which will be to tell Cybersitter to ignore the ports used by WHS backup. (I am at work now so I don't have those port numbers handy). I intend to post my findings to this forum after I see how it works.

HTH,
    Joe

Friday, December 7, 2007 3:23 PM
  • Thanks for the response.

I checked Task Manager and I am running a 10 Mbps LAN.

So, from what you're saying at 10 MBps this is normal and I do not have a problem?

Bob

Friday, December 7, 2007 4:46 PM
  • Assuming your 160 GB drive is full, and assuming you're getting the full 10 Mb (=~1.1 MB) per second transfer, then you're looking at about 40 hours to back up the drive. The drive probably isn't full, which would help, but I can pretty well guarantee that you're not getting the full transfer rate of your network, which will hurt.

Anyway, your initial backup is going to take quite a while...
    Friday, December 7, 2007 5:39 PM
  • In Task Manager, are you seeing activity? I would expect to see a fairly steady utilization graph on the Networking tab. On the Processes tab if you click twice (2 single clicks) on the CPU column heading. the display is sorted to keep the most active processes at the top. Look for a process with "Backup" in the name (I don't remember the exact name now). You should see this backup process stay near the top of the list. If you do not see it there and a minute or so goes by, then something is wrong and the job either went away or got stuck. If you see network activity and the job is using CPU resources, then I would wait it out. If no activity, try cancelling the backup & restarting it. You may need to reboot your server & PC.

If you are running at 10Mbps, you will probably be much happier if you upgrade to a faster network. Gigabit network equipment is pretty affordable now, so 100 Mbps equipment is dirt cheap. 100Mbps has been the defacto standard on equipment sold for a long time now, so you probably don't have to replace much equipment. Your WHS should already include a Gigabit adapter if you bought an off-the-shelf system. So the problem is either in the client PC or your router (or any other Ethernet switches you might have in between the PC and the server). If you look at the PC card where you plug in the CAT5 cable, they usually have LEDs that tell you the speed. See if there is an LED marked 100. If the LED is not marked at all, try opening the Device Manager: Right click on My Computer, select properties, Click the Hardware Tab, and the Device Manager button. Click the + next to Network Adapters and see the name of the adapter. The name often includes the speed: e.g. Linksys 10/100. If you see that it is a 100Mbps card, then the problem may be your router. What is the Manufacturer and model number?

You can buy a 100MBps desktop card for < $20 if you look around and a router can be had for <$50.

Joe
    Friday, December 7, 2007 6:14 PM
  • Thank you all for the responses.

Lots of good information.

Bob

Friday, December 7, 2007 10:23 PM
  • Replace old 5 port Hub and old router with 10/100 router. Got increased transfer speed.  Backed up 160 GB for first time in 5 + hours.

Again thanks for all the responses and good information.

Bob

Saturday, December 8, 2007 8:43 AM