Legality/ability to install OEM windows on an OEM machine with a volume licence. RRS feed

• Question

• I have another vista install/validation/legality question.

New computer, new issue.  I have a machine that originally came with a version of Vista.  I can make out the version of the OS on the OEM product key sticker, but the actual key is worn in places and I can't make it all out.  I have the Toshiba (its a Toshiba laptop) OEM volume license key for this version of windows.  Is it possible, and legal, to install a "bare" OEM version of windows, the version that the laptop came with with that volume license key?  Please keep in mind I am installing the version of windows that that laptop came with.

So, two questions.  Please answer them both when answering.

1)  Is it possible?

2) Is it legal?

Friday, April 8, 2011 7:35 PM

Answers

• "Shadow Wizard1" wrote in message news:c16902cb-8d7a-409a-9ae0-43c77741204c...

I have another vista install/validation/legality question.

New computer, new issue.  I have a machine that originally came with a version of Vista.  I can make out the version of the OS on the OEM product key sticker, but the actual key is worn in places and I can't make it all out.  I have the Toshiba (its a Toshiba laptop) OEM volume license key for this version of windows.  Is it possible, and legal, to install a "bare" OEM version of windows, the version that the laptop came with with that volume license key?  Please keep in mind I am installing the version of windows that that laptop came with.

So, two questions.  Please answer them both when answering.

1)  Is it possible?

2) Is it legal?

1) No
    2) sorta - it's just not possible :)
    You need to reinstall using the manufacturer's Recovery disks for that machine (no other make/model will work)

The OEM_SLP Key for a Toshiba relies on two things.
    a) the presence in the BIOS of the correct SLIC table
    b) The presence on the installation disk of the correct certificates

Only if both are present can the install self-activate the system properly.
    If ether is missing, then the system will not activate properly without a COA Key.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, April 8, 2011 7:44 PM