OCS R2, remote phone control and dialing from MOC through Cisco UCM 7.1 possible? RRS feed

• Question

• With OSC R2, will it be possible for a user to both control a cisco phone from MOC (when user chooses to) or dial from MOC through Cisco UCM (formerly callmanager)?  Company wants users to be able to ether select to control cisco hardphone from MOC, or dial out via MOC direct (i.e. enterprise voice). 

With the previous remote call control method, the pstn gateway next on mediation server would of been the Cisco presence server.  With a direct sip capabilities in R2, the pstn next hop gateway from mediation server is the UCM server.  I see there is a setting in user OCS config area where you can select both, and have to input a SIP URI.  But the mediation server still requires one single next hop (either Cisco presence or UCM).

thanks in advance,
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 5:47 PM

Answers

• That would be Enterprise Voice with PBX Integration; see the last section of this article:
    http://blogs.technet.com/jkunert/archive/2008/07/30/voice-scenarios-with-ocs-2007.aspx

You would still use Direct SIP to Call Manager for EV as well as the CUPS server for RCC (Remote Call Control). 
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:03 PM
  • If you use OCS and communictor only RCC enviroment, no mediation server need.
    But many users want to RCC and Enterprise Voice, so you need to deploy one or more mediation server.

Connection example as follow

MOC---OCS---Mediation server---CUCM---VG---PSTN
                 |                                      |
                 |-----------CUP---------------|

I strongly recomend to connect OCS---VG---CUCM.
    And you should configure translate ANI and DNIS on VG, You can prevent from many trouble related CLID and dialing problem.

Thanks for your patience my broken English
    YamamotoA
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:24 AM
  • Hi,
    You will need 1 mediation server to do a direct SIP connection to Cisco UCM. This will allow you to use MOC to make the phone calls.

For RCC to work, you do not need a mediation server. You configure the OCS front end (through static route/host authorization tabs) to communicate with the CUPS server.

Regards,
    Matt

Matt McGillen, PointBridge - https://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/mcgillen_matt/default.aspx
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:55 PM

All replies

• That would be Enterprise Voice with PBX Integration; see the last section of this article:
    http://blogs.technet.com/jkunert/archive/2008/07/30/voice-scenarios-with-ocs-2007.aspx

You would still use Direct SIP to Call Manager for EV as well as the CUPS server for RCC (Remote Call Control). 
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:03 PM
  • I appreciate the quick reply Jeff.

I did read the article but don't quite understand exactly what I'll need.  Will I need one mediation server to connect to callmanager and one mediation server to connect to CUPS? 

Regards,
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:07 AM
  • If you use OCS and communictor only RCC enviroment, no mediation server need.
    But many users want to RCC and Enterprise Voice, so you need to deploy one or more mediation server.

Connection example as follow

MOC---OCS---Mediation server---CUCM---VG---PSTN
                 |                                      |
                 |-----------CUP---------------|

I strongly recomend to connect OCS---VG---CUCM.
    And you should configure translate ANI and DNIS on VG, You can prevent from many trouble related CLID and dialing problem.

Thanks for your patience my broken English
    YamamotoA
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:24 AM
  • Hi,
    You will need 1 mediation server to do a direct SIP connection to Cisco UCM. This will allow you to use MOC to make the phone calls.

For RCC to work, you do not need a mediation server. You configure the OCS front end (through static route/host authorization tabs) to communicate with the CUPS server.

Regards,
    Matt

Matt McGillen, PointBridge - https://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/mcgillen_matt/default.aspx
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

We tested these scenarios and they work really nicely. A voice gateway is not needed.
    As stated above, for RCC - no mediation server is needed. For OC to actually call - the mediation server is needed for the RTaudio codec translation. The OCS server will have a direct SIP connection to CUCM.

Regards
    Anesh
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 2:29 PM
  • you can also use  Cisco Unified Communications Integration for Microsoft Office Communicator Release 7.1
    see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucimoc/7_1/english/integrat/guide/config_servers.html#wp1053151

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 6:38 AM