Communicator 2005 showing offline for users with MOC 2007. RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have one MOC 2007 user that appears offline all the time to users with Communicator 2005.  There are other users that use MOC 2007 without a problem.  I have set up a second IP address on OCs 2007 for network load balancing.

Any ideas?

Monday, October 6, 2008 3:00 PM

All replies

• Is there anything unique about that user?  Mis-matched SMTP and SIP username (if looking at Presence in Outlook) or anything else?
    Monday, October 6, 2008 5:31 PM
  • I checked the smtp and sip username.  Both are the same.

Monday, October 6, 2008 5:35 PM
  • Hi,

You mentioned setting up a second IP address for network loadbalancing... can you describe your setup in more detail? Windows NLB is not supported with OCS; you are required to use a hardware load balancer. Is that the case for you? If it's an OCS standard deployment, you don't need the second IP address. If it's OCS Enterprise & you only have one front end, you do need the second IP to be mapped to the pool name.

Also, I am assuming that you are integrating to LCS 2005 - is that the case? If so, are you having trouble with LCS to OCS user communication? Or is the problem with some OCS users using MOC 2005 talking to the one " problem OCS users" using MOC 2007?

Have you tried having this user log in to a different OCS client, on someone else's workstation whose MOC client is working properly?

Lastly, (long shot) there is a group policy setting that allows users to "appear offline". This user doesn't have a policy like that applied?

Regards,

Matt

Monday, October 6, 2008 5:50 PM
  • I have OCS Enterprise.

I followed this Blog to add the second ip address.  This did help with most of the clients.

https://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/mcgillen_matt/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=9

I am trying to integrate OCs with Lcs 2005.

The problem is the lcs 2005 clients are seeing one specific MOC 2007 user as always offline.

All of the other MOC  clients appear fine.

There is no entry for the Offline in Active Directory.

I will try to set up the user for a different computer in the morning.

Monday, October 6, 2008 7:17 PM
  • I'm having the same issue...and if you note on MOC 2007 that has the problem, you see some contacts as "Presence Unknown"

I solved this problem exporting all contacts to an XML file, disabling OCS from the user, deleting the OCS User container form OCS server, re-enabling the user to OCS and importing the XML file to the user container.

This solution is hard and if you have some users with the same problem you have to take long time to resolve this.

I'm looking for a better solution than this. If someone know any solution better than this please publish it.

Regards.

Monday, November 17, 2008 5:34 PM
  • I read your solution, but have a couple of questions.
    Where is the user container stores?
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 1:45 PM
  • To start off - it is not required to have a secondary IP with OCS , that is a requirement of LCS SP1.

So if you have Enterprise deployment of LCS SP1 and OCS 2007.  You would need a IP for the LCS Server and a Pool IP for the LCS Pool.  Both of these IP's would be on the LCS Server.

You also have to have these 2 hotfixes installed - Required for Presence to work.

KB 911996
    KB 921543

Those are for LCS SP1.

Now for OCS, you can just use 1 IP for the OCS Server and the same IP for the OCS Pool.  The biggest 2 pieces required for this to work is the 2 Hotfixes and a second IP on the LCS Server.

--geoff
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 11:09 PM