Backups fail at 49% RRS feed

• Question

• CAB # 355562458 I have submitted a TALQ report as well.

I have not been able to get my two computers to repeatedly back-up.  Each with a two drive set up (OS on one drive (C: ), Data/Music/Pics on a RAID 1 SATA drive set-up).  One computer backed up successfully the first time and now stalls at 49% back up (says "C: reorganizing data on the server") and will never progresses further.  2nd computer never successfully backed up, same stall and error.  Looking at the backup details in the WHS console, shows that C: drive is complete, but the other drive doesn't have a letter and says "Failed" as status.  Failure Details reads "No Failure Occurred or No Reason for the Failure was reported".

One computer runs Vista Ultimate 32-bit, the other runs Vista Premium 32-Bit.

Saturday, July 7, 2007 12:33 PM

Answers

• This is a known issue and we are investigating.
    Saturday, July 7, 2007 5:51 PM

All replies

• This is a known issue and we are investigating.
    Saturday, July 7, 2007 5:51 PM
  •  

Has there been any progress on this issue?  I'd really like to do successful backups on my pc's.
    Sunday, December 16, 2007 12:11 AM
  • I had a similar issue which is now resolved. 

The NIC card on the server was set to allow Jumbo Frames.  When I turned that off, all of my backup problems went away.

Go to device manger

expand Network adapters

double click to get properties for the Network card.

click the advanced tab and look for the "Jumbo Frames" entry and select disabled.

Please let me know what you find.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 1:13 AM
  • Hi,

There was an entry for "Jumbo Frame Payload Size" that was already set for Standard Frame, which (I'm guessing) is the same as Disabled.  So, no joy for me.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 1:57 AM
  • I just installed WHS a few days ago and the first few nights it stopped at 48 or 49% citing 'drive consistency' problems.  When I looked at the details, it appeared to be at the point when it went onto backup the 2nd partition on a drive.  Not sure if this is the problem.  When I ran a manual backup afterwards, it continued from that point and completed successfully.  Hoping for the first successful automatic backup tonight now that the first is done.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:33 AM
  •  

It would seem that this problem is related to WHS attempting to back up multiple volumes on a client PC.  In an attempt to explore what's going wrong, I configured the backup on several of my PC's to only back up the primary partition.  Manual backups were successful.  We'll see about automatic backups this evening.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:56 PM
  • Once I got through that first full backup my automatic backups have been fine...so far.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:31 AM